Discuss Why was the RCD not tripping with a N-E short? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I went to a property to carry out an EICR.

Sockets and cooker were RCD protected all the other circuits were not.

I realise there is an order of doing the tests but I thought I would check the RCD test button. It didn't trip. I then did an RCD test and the RCD didn't trip.

Took the cover off the CU, started some dead tests on the ring. N-E 0MΩ.

Upon re-energising the ring the RCD kept tripping instantly as you would expect with a N-E short. However all the sockets had been working fine before I arrived!

After an hour of fault finding (as I couldn't leave him without sockets, even though it was just an EICR) I found a neutral touching a back box as the insulation was broken and there was no grommet. Fixed it and the IR results went to 50MΩ and the RCD then worked as it should. I.e the button tripped it and it tested as 11mS at 5x rated current.

My question is why was the RCD test button not working AND why did it not trip when tested? It only became a working RCD once the fault was found which kind of defeats the object!

had this several times. a dead short N-E can inhibit the RCD from tripping, even though you think it should. not sure of the science behind it though.

had this several times. a dead short N-E can inhibit the RCD from tripping, even though you think it should. not sure of the science behind it though.
Not good enough! You need to find out quick smart and then let me know. I'm too busy making bread and am also about to have a cup of tea! ;)

I'd say as @Gavin John Hyde - switch mechanism seized and by isolating you've freed it up a bit.

Was it a TN-C-S? Forgive me, it's late on a Friday so my brain may not be engaged, but with TN-C-S you've got a dead short at the service head and a dead short at the fault. Therefore, maybe the majority of fault current was still going down the neutral and only a bit, not enough to trip the device, going down the fault path?

I think this is a known issue with RCD test buttons, if the neutral is linked to earth at source and a fault links N-E after the RCD, then there is a current path which bypasses the sense coil in the RCD. Little or no current flows in the coil so no trip.
Why was the RCD not tripping with a N-E short? RCD - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
I think this is a known issue with RCD test buttons, if the neutral is linked to earth at source and a fault links N-E after the RCD, then there is a current path which bypasses the sense coil in the RCD. No current flows in the coil so no trip.
View attachment 47841

Hmmm, I've learned something. All the RCD wiring diagrams I've seen previously have the test button after the coil on the line to before the coil on the neutral.

Hmmm, I've learned something. All the RCD wiring diagrams I've seen previously have the test button after the coil on the line to before the coil on the neutral.
Either test arrangement should work, the button only has to create an imbalance in the sense coils. I was just trying to think why an N-E fault would stop the RCD tripping and that's the only thing that makes sense.

I’ve experienced this phernonmon’ before, when on a new install, due to my mistake I connected a circuit with neutral earth fault. Got to RCD tests with MFT, and RCD would not function. After a bit of head scratching, and testing from beginning, realised I’d connected faulty circuit. Disconnected faulty circuit and RCD functioned correctly. Posted before about and think someone like Lucien explained why.

Last edited:
Interesting replies. It was a real head scratcher! Plus I was in a bit of a rush as I had to pick the boy up from School, couldn't believe it when all the sockets tripped and I was only doing an EICR...arghhhh!
I expect Lucien, Richard, Darkwood or Marvo will explain :)
E54 would have known too!

As with other replies, I’ve had this where I’ve done some work and tested the RCD on its own. Then constantly tripping due to a fault afterwards. I do think if they aren’t tested regularly they get seized and when you do something to send them off, they realise what they’re supposed to do and start working..... especially late on a Friday

I've also had it where the customer has kept resetting the RCD until it held. Test button etc had no effect until I isolated and cleared the fault then it would test as normal.

Not good enough! You need to find out quick smart and then let me know. I'm too busy making bread and am also about to have a cup of tea! ;)
N-E faults are apiece of cake compared to baking the perfect wholemeal loaf. I think the trick is to knock back the dough mix for long enough; not sure if that fixes RCD issues!
Why was the RCD not tripping with a N-E short? IMAG0004 - EletriciansForums.net

N-E faults are apiece of cake compared to baking the perfect wholemeal loaf. I think the trick is to knock back the dough mix for long enough; not sure if that fixes RCD issues!
View attachment 47845
you going to eat that or use it as a medieval siege weapon?

I prefer Sourdough myself. Her indoors made a massive balls up, didn't get stuff for chilli as instructed; so tonight its shop bought fish & chips or home cooked tuna pasta bake :(

Perhaps I should of bought her a Valentino Xmas card, or whatever it is.

Reply to Why was the RCD not tripping with a N-E short? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock