Discuss Why wont my light work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Roto1one

DIY
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

We just purchased a 1930 house with original wiring.
The outside back porch light does not work. I replaced the bulb and nothing.
Checked the power at the switch and there is power at all four terminals (sort of weird).
Removed the fixture and found the light was disconnected with no wire nuts on the wires.
It is a two wire system with power at one wire and it does not matter what position the switch is in.
When I hook up the new fixture, the power goes away and will not burn. Not sure what to do. Bad switch?
Paul

Petej999

Arms
Reaction score
Checked the power at the switch and there is power at all four terminals (sort of weird).
Removed the fixture and found the light was disconnected with no wire nuts on the wires.
It is a two wire system with power at one wire and it does not matter what position the switch is in.
When I hook up the new fixture, the power goes away and will not burn. Not sure what to do. Bad switch?
Paul
if you are unsure of how to proceed best call an Electrician Mate to save yoiurself some grief might be a simole job but I Don't like giving out step by step instructions if you were close to N/TON I would come and help you out FOC, except for prtrol dosh.

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It sounds like a high-resistance connection; you can see some voltage there when there is no load (lamp) in circuit, but the resistance is so high that when the lamp starts to draw current, the voltage collapses. Due to the age of the installation I agree with @Petej999 that this is really a job for an electrician, otherwise you might open a can of worms.

I think Washington USA is a bit out of his area though!

OP
R

Roto1one

DIY
Reaction score
It sounds like a high-resistance connection; you can see some voltage there when there is no load (lamp) in circuit, but the resistance is so high that when the lamp starts to draw current, the voltage collapses. Due to the age of the installation I agree with @Petej999 that this is really a job for an electrician, otherwise you might open a can of worms.

I think Washington USA is a bit out of his area though!
I am having a new panel installed in the house and shop in a few weeks. I will have them look at it then.
Thank you.

Megawatt

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Paul
The wire with power all the time is your live coming in to feed the box. The only thing that could be wrong is you have your blacks crossed up or possibly a bad switch but doubtful. You know that a house with just 2 wires uses the white as a switch leg but never mark them with black tape as a live wire.

OP
R

Roto1one

DIY
Reaction score
The wire with power all the time is your live coming in to feed the box. The only thing that could be wrong is you have your blacks crossed up or possibly a bad switch but doubtful. You know that a house with just 2 wires uses the white as a switch leg but never mark them with black tape as a live wire.
I will put a new switch in it and see if that solves the problem. If not, I will have the Electrician look at it.
Thank You

Reply to Why wont my light work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

E
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new campaign from electrical industry body The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP). With thousands of searches each year on terms such as...
Replies
Views
Marty92
Dan
  • Article
You can now link your account with social media by going to the following page. https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ We had this feature some time ago but I removed it when Facebook was found to be selling the data they collected without informing the users of what...
Replies
Views
Dan
Dan
  • Article
There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics. Read the actual threads here:- What should be the code for this - C2 or C3 -...
Replies
Views
Jurassic Sparks
Jurassic Sparks
James
  • Article
The Go Plus hot tub is being recalled because you could get electrocuted taking a dip, according to press releases from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI). An Amazon spokesperson said: "Safety is a top priority at Amazon. "We require all products offered in our store to comply...
Replies
Views
Dave Appleby
D
Dan
  • Article
Posted on behalf of @CKI:C.K-Tools Carl Kammerling International Ltd, also known to as ‘CKI’, are the company behind the C.K Tools brand. Founded in Germany in 1904 and with roots stretching back to 1790, we provide a wide range of hand tools, tool storage, power tool accessories and...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix

Search Forum

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.