Discuss Why would you in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Plonker 3

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Have a socket engraved with this?

Attachments

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
G

Guest55

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been thinking about this for 10mins and come up with zilch.
where you find it ?

M

Mark_Burgess

Maybe it was the only RCD protected circuit.

S

StuSpiers

Sparks may have fallen out with client.

He made sure it wasn't RCD protected and OCPD = 6 inch nail.

P

Philpot

Nope.... you've got me!!! unless it means that" this is the only socket that may be used outside....but there wasn't room for it all on the socket . It may be the only socket on an RCD?

G

Guest55

Maybe it was the only RCD protected circuit.
But why would that stop you from using it inside as well ?

G

Guest55

And if the circuit is rcd protected then any socket could be used for outdoors ??

M

Mark_Burgess

But why would that stop you from using it inside as well ?
Dunno!!

I give up!

snowhead

-
Mentor
eh ?? lol , so unplug whats in it then.
May not be convenient if it was a computer, printer, or fridge, or something else with a long on time.

snowhead

-
Mentor
It's easier and cheaper to label "for Outdoor use" on one or two sockets as opposed to labelling possibly hundreds "Not for outdoor use"

Jimmy Boy

-
Arms
Perhaps the outdoor circuit that was (Or was not) protected by an RCD was on a different Phase (Line) to the indoor Line and to bring it indoors would possibly bring a cross Phase fault of 400V Line to Line ?.
J

G

Guest55

May not be convenient if it was a computer, printer, or fridge, or something else with a long on time.
Then why would those items be plugged into a socket that says outside use only ?
youre clutching at straws here lol.

G

Guest55

Perhaps the outdoor circuit that was (Or was not) protected by an RCD was on a different Phase (Line) to the indoor Line and to bring it indoors would possibly bring a cross Phase fault of 400V Line to Line ?.
J
Give me a break !
;-D

snowhead

-
Mentor
Then why would those items be plugged into a socket that says outside use only ?
youre clutching at straws here lol.
You're getting confused.

If it wasn't labelled but was next to a door or window, and was the only RCD protected socket, it may get used by someone for inside equipment.

It IS labelled to stop /deter internal use, so wouldn't have anything else plugged in.

This is probably from 20 or 30 years ago

Jimmy Boy

-
Arms
Give me a break !
;-D
Well you said straws ! Have a bundle lmfao !
J

G

Guest111

years back there was this thing that if the whole house was not on rcd then there should be at least one socket protected by rcd and this was to be labelled"for equipment outdoors" I have seen them in strange places,although I seem to remember that the requirement only applied if the house had a garden not if it had a yard,rcd sockets were not that common back then.

You're getting confused.

If it wasn't labelled but was next to a door or window, and was the only RCD protected socket, it may get used by someone for inside equipment.

It IS labelled to stop /deter internal use, so wouldn't have anything else plugged in.

This is probably from 20 or 30 years ago
Tbh, however far-fetched it seems, I think your answer is the most logical so far :)

G

Guest55

You're getting confused.
I know , and your posts arent helping.

snowhead

-
Mentor
All we can say for definite is that there was a need for such a label on a socket and someone felt the need to pay money to have it done.

Thinking about it, it's more likely 30 or 40 years ago, being unswitched.

B

Bobster

It could be in a hotel/similar establishment, so the socket is left free for people who come in from the outside?

Edit: should learn to read properly, read it as outside rather than outdoor

snowhead

-
Mentor
Can someone lock this thread or we'll all go mad.

Des 56

-
Arms
Esteemed
It makes no sense labelled in those words
It seems to me someone had a case of labelling dyslexia,they meant one thing and wrote something with a different meaning

Either way,its a label I have yet to come across

S

Swicade

Seem to remember someone spouting on about a ruling Phil d mentions in the early 90's when i was on council house refurbs.

G

Guest55

Can someone lock this thread or we'll all go mad.
That moment passed loooong ago lol.

P

Plonker 3

This is actually advertised on a wholesalers website. Not something I have seen somewhere or found randomly on a search.

G

Guest55

Now if the socket said for "vacuums only" we could give them as valentine gifts.

Snigger.

snowhead

-
Mentor
This is actually advertised on a wholesalers website. Not something I have seen somewhere or found randomly on a search.

Name and shame.
Was this found whilst you're looking for a camping adapter?

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Why would you in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom