Discuss wi-fi switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
anyone point me in the direction. customer wants 7 wi-fi control switches to be on an app. with phone. no neutral at switches. he's looking at these:

hoewver his existing switches are on a 25mm galv. box in brick walls. the above need 47mm.boxes. is there anything out there to replace the existing switches and still fit on a 25mm box? otherwise, it's a lot of work and mess chasing for deep boxes.

I've been looking for something like that! My guess is that there are so few options if you don't have a neutral that chasing in a deeper box is a small price to pay. I'll have a look at my house in the UK next time I can get there, but I only have dot & dab plasterboard in most cases.

LightwaveRF doesn’t need a neutral but would need filiment type lamps.

Also needs the expensive gateway to connect to Internet hub.

I also think they need 35mm boxes.

What about a 10mm spacer behind the switch to bring it off the wall a bit to give more space behind.

LightwaveRF doesn’t need a neutral but would need filiment type lamps.

Also needs the expensive gateway to connect to Internet hub.

I also think they need 35mm boxes.

What about a 10mm spacer behind the switch to bring it off the wall a bit to give more space behind.

looked into that. would need at least 15mm spacer. would look horrendous. time to get the chisels out.

anyone point me in the direction. customer wants 7 wi-fi control switches to be on an app. with phone. no neutral at switches. he's looking at these:

hoewver his existing switches are on a 25mm galv. box in brick walls. the above need 47mm.boxes. is there anything out there to replace the existing switches and still fit on a 25mm box? otherwise, it's a lot of work and mess chasing for deep boxes.
I'm obviously missing something here the unit is 41mm x 36mm x 17mm so unless there are multi gang switches why does it need such a deep box

device is 17mm thick. 25mm box. switch takes up 15mm. that leaves 10mm space behind switch, not including a bit of space for conductors. might be possible to cram into a 35mm box, but why cram if i have to chase anyway.?

I just saw something a bit concerning on the support community:
This year we were invited by WWF to participate in the Earth Hour initiative. Let's do something good, even though nothing happens in just one hour.
Create a scene called EARTH HOUR to turn off the lights you choose from 20:30 to 21:30 on March 27. In this way, we will be able to account for the participation of all of you.
Smart home can save a lot of CO2 emissions on earth:
1. Shelley devices are used in more than 500,000 households worldwide.
2. Our systems show that the total reported energy from all Shelly devices is 4746 MWh per day.

So beware, big brother Shelly is watching you. Just like big sister Alexa, Siri, Cortana and the rest of the gang.

rhink a 35mm box may just do it, but i hate squashing the conductors against metal boxes. recipe for disaster.

The Lightwave switches come with a spacer/bezel, which the faceplate sits in, so doesn't look bad. The spacer gives an extra 7mm clearance. The screw terminals are accessed from the top of the switch, and where the cables enter is stepped away from the back. There is space to run cables around the sides of the central module if you have enough length. I've just measured one, and using the spacer, the module itself protrudes just 18mm into the back box.

Oh no. Don’t mention quinetic to tel.... we’ll be here all night!

#11.... Theres LightwaveRF and litewave.
which one do you mean?
Sorry, LightwaveRF. The newer series. And a correction, they are more like 17mm deep with the supplied bezel.

Last edited:

Reply to wi-fi switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net