Discuss Wickes ~ Link a trade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Got a call from a company today trying to sign up trades people to have their cards in "my local" store.

From what I gather its about £50.00 per month for the basic package (over a year) and I'm wondering if anyone on here has tried this and could give me an idea of take up etc?

They claim they won't have more than 3 people of each trade on the stand.

I popped in to my local store on the way home and there were no sparkies at all.

Just wondering - marketing is a tricky one as you can't do nothing!

thanks

I've known a few people who have tried this in their local supermarkets and got nothing whatsoever from it ! Displaying in a DIY store may work differently, although I would doubt it as most people who go there in the first place are looking to do the work themselves.

i can't see you getting many leads,usualy person buys replacement part from diy store takes it home fits it and it works or it doesn't and google for electrician.
i will correct my post maybe a few wanting lights changed, showers installed.
the problem you might get is people buying inadequate parts then upset about labour charges, might be worth 50 notes though just to check the water?

i advertised like this about 6 years ago for 1 year and got no calls

Word of mouth is the best way to get work imho

Agree, word of mouth is the best way and for me works extremely well, but I can't help thinking that doing no marketing is a bad idea!

Agree, word of mouth is the best way and for me works extremely well, but I can't help thinking that doing no marketing is a bad idea!

When i had a business and employees then yes but now after a argument with the tax man and a divorce later there is just me to keep busy, so word of mouth is my income
I do miss the larger contracts and business i had but feel so much more less stressed then before (perhaps that was the last wife though lol)

Here is my two penneth worth. If you are quiet, go and 'browse' the electrical isle at B and Q. You WILL pick up work from other browsing, purchasing customers. I went in one day to buy something, got chatting to a guy buying plasterboard and ended up following him home to price up his electrics (builder doing a renovation). That is just one example. Another, old lady looking to but an RCD plug for her hallway. I feel it could have potentially led to me advising and quoting for an rcd double socket as she was quite bothered by aesthetics.

Do the work for them, who knows what will come off the back of it, and have some cards to hand out personally, while you are 'browsing', lol.

That's what I would do if I was quiet anyway. No outlay, meet the customer face-to-face before, offer friendly advice, 'by the way I am a qualified electrician, here is my card..'

Much better than cold calling, neutral environment 'oh he seems helpful..' etc.

Actually, thinking about it, I would like forum members' thoughts on this approach.

What do you all think?

Re: Wickes ~ Link a trade - UPDATE - Be Warned

All,

Well I decided to go for it, but on a 1 year deal. The agreement was signed and I paid a deposit with the following 6 installments starting 2 months time.

4 days later I looked online at my credit card account and noticed they had taken an installment payment... not impressed.

So I've called them, emailed them and written them a letter.

So far they've refunded the installment payment but no more.

No letter back, no email back, no phone call back - and this os from a company who say they are marketing experts so here's their details and I'd advice steering well clear of them:

WRT Group Plc - Local business advertising nationwide, leaflets, business cards, digital signage and website design.

I also came across this forum tonight - could be a useful way to communicate about irresponsible companies/suppliers/customers??

Have You Been Conned • All Discussions

Edit: Mods/Dan - I'll happily update this thread if and when my money is repaid.

Murdoch

Sorry to hear that !, Hope you get sorted :)

I do not believe in advertising other then vehicle, clothing and world of mouth (i wasted money years ago)

Re: Wickes ~ Link a trade - UPDATE

Yes I got my deposit back, finally.

My advice to anyone gettings calls promising hundreds of leads via Link-A-Trade, think long and hard before getting your credit card out. They claim to be marketing and communication "experts" and I can tell you, based on my experience, that "communication" is not one of their strengths.

Sorry about the bad news and hassel.

Thanks for the warning though, unfortunatley times are tough at the moment and i can inevitably see many people falling for this.

Glad its sorted for you now though.

In my opinion any company who will only 'advertise' your business for a 12month contract isn't worth using. If there results were any good they would not need to tie you in to 12 months!!!!!

I've posted before about this but at homebase.

Keep hold of your money dont chuck it away.
My brothers mate is a manager at the local HB..........................he said ;

1. This set up is nothing to do with HB
  2. Isnt worth what the company are charging for a handful of business cards.
  3. The store staff move the card holder to some obscure place behind the tills because 9 times out of 10 the rep leaves it in the way of the customers exit.
  4. It's a DIY store why the **** would customers call a tradesman.
  5. If they do realize they need help, they are then at home so will use google or if over 30 use yellow pages to find a sparks, going back to HB to get a card from a hidden stand is the last thing they will think of.

His advice stay away & tell the bloke to do one.
Can you tell I've had the same call a few times now.

I used the Homebase thing 2 years ago and did not get a bean from it and I was several hundred quid out of pocket, but on the other hand people on here rant about Rated People but I have started a 30K job last week that only cost m £45 for the contact details. I do understand that this may have been very lucky but RP has been a very good tool for me this year.

He who dares wins Rodney and all that......................

What about check a trade? Is anyone on that, what's the price.
i understand customers rate your performance out of 10 based on your tidiness workmanship etc

What about check a trade? Is anyone on that, what's the price.
i understand customers rate your performance out of 10 based on your tidiness workmanship etc

I have had meeting with these guys and they seem very professional about £500 a year, the only thing for me was that they are not very established in the north. Down south they are supposed to be very good with 1000's of internet hits a month compared to 10's up here, I told them if they give me a free trial or a discount due to the lesser amounts of activity that I would go on board but there was no movement in their fees.

Why should I pay £500 for 10 hits a month when down south they pay the same for 1000's?

Wow that's a bit steep ill leave that idea then.
Do people not have the Internet up north then:eek:sama:
I have just spent £250 on 5000 A5 flyers so guess what I'll be doing over Christma
try and get the family to lend a hand aswell

Reply to Wickes ~ Link a trade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock