Discuss wide dual-sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bren_p

Hi guys,

Total DIY newbie here.

I've just tiled my kitchen and had to make a series of cuts around double plug sockets. I've screwed the sockets back in place and have found that there is a gap of about 2 mm at one edge. Yes I know - I'm a pillock!

It is a bit of an eyesore - and I don't think that replacing a tile will fix the issue.

Given that I could do with new sockets anyway (old ones are pretty scratched up) does anyone know of a brand with a larger front-plate. This would enable me to hide the small gap. I've had a look around but they all seem to be a standard size.

Any help would be gratefully received!

B

can you not adjust the socket so as to have 1mm at each side. then a bit of silicon?

you ---!

can you not adjust the socket so as to have 1mm at each side. then a bit of silicon?

Sadly not, there isn't much horizontal give in the sockets. The back box itself is screwed and glued to the wall and I'm reluctant to dig that out of the masonry as it'll knacker the plasterboard (not the mention the tiles).

I could put a finger plate - but that'll look a bit naff on red gloss tiles. I'd rather have sockets with a wider front plate given that I should probably replace them all anyway

Some of the heritage brass sockets are fractionally larger in face plate than standard sockets, generally normal double sockets are 146mm wide and Mayfair and Appollo are 2mm wider, Georgian are 5mm wider.
Not sure how they would go with gloss red though. (though you can get red sockets!)

Can you attach a photo or two of what it looks like?

Hi Guys,

Sorry for delayed response - decorating the rest of the house this weekend and I'm buggered!

We found some brushed steel plugs from Argos that are pretty mahoosive - they cover the gap pretty well. I also found a company in the US that do "jumbo" sizes, but sadly not for the UK market.

Thanks Richard for the heritage link, might not fit with the style of the kitchen but I have a look and see what else is out there.

Thanks also Marvin. I may out some pics up tomorrow as a warning to others ;-)

Scolmore do metallic ones with a plastic surround that makes them 'oversized'.

Reply to wide dual-sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net