Discuss Wierd one...here goes!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

montybaber

Hi there

I have worked as a maintenance electrician basically since I left school I served a 4 year apprenticeship in a large distribution centre and gained city and guilds qualifications (2360 pts 1 and 2) amongst many other qualifications specific to my apprenticeship.

I was there until it was relocated nearly three years ago (id been there 10 years) and moved onto a food manufacturer where I work now on a 4 on 4 off shift rota (6-6) about an hour away from where I live, I have been sent on many other courses specific to machinery on site and recently completed my 17th edition qualification and i'm currently a year into a HNC in Mechatronics engineering which I travel 100 miles to one day a week.

Times are difficult and my family (all plumbers) have set up a plumbing and heating business and its going well, my brother has approached me to join the firm and carry out any electrical works that comes up and advertise the electrical aspect of the business.

i'm interested to hear your views on what I should do? I would keep my maintenance job and only work for the family firm on my days off apart from the fact it will be hard work is there any legal reason why I cant do this?, what should I do about part P??? I have looked at NIC and Napit and (as far as I can see) I can join Napit (maybe) with the qualificationsI have and maybe do the 2391 course later in the year? should I do it first and go with NIC?

Shall I join a domestic installer scheme as mostly the works will be small I would imagine but would this limit me?

Im sorry I'm just a bit out of touch, I dont even know if im qualified enough :) I have done a lot of installation work so Im pretty certain im competent

Thankyou

hi matey if i were you id join the nic domestic installer scheme, don think you can go full approved till youve been tradng fo6 months anyway so.. also joining a scheme gets rid of the need to notifybuilding control when you carry out work thats in a special location. its 437.00 to join niccy dom installer.

rich

too add aswell you sound defo qualified enough! ive only got me 2360 1 & 2, eal dom installer course, not done me 17th (YET!)

Last edited:
I think, after the sort of work you have done and are doing, you would soon get bored.
Wiring up stats and zone valves might not be challenging enough after working on panels and machinery.

There is my 2 penneth !

Thanks a lot :) will have a look at the NIC site again (its not very clear lol)

My plans are to do it for a year or two and keep my job at the factory to continue and get my HNC finished who knows what i will do then :D but I dont want to switch completely just earn some extra cash and help out my family because it can be a pain for them to get sparkies in for small jobs like fitting stats and connecting boilers etc

Thanks a lot :) will have a look at the NIC site again (its not very clear lol)

My plans are to do it for a year or two and keep my job at the factory to continue and get my HNC finished who knows what i will do then :D but I dont want to switch completely just earn some extra cash and help out my family because it can be a pain for them to get sparkies in for small jobs like fitting stats and connecting boilers etc

As i side issue, I have done the HNC & HND Mechatronics, if you need anything, give me a shout;)

Mm, so an hnc makes it easier to crawl under floors, sqeeze into cylinder cupboards, connect zone valves in places only a plumber would install...etc etc.

Must get my hnc then -;)

hi matey if i were you id join the nic domestic installer scheme, don think you can go full approved till youve been tradng fo6 months anyway so..

So if you are a new business sole trader/Ltd company you cannot go full scope NIC (even after your assessment?) until you have been trading for 6 months?

As i side issue, I have done the HNC & HND Mechatronics, if you need anything, give me a shout;)

Thanks a lot :) just finished my first year and my god after 8 yrs out of college it was hard work getting back into it (specially the maths lol) but managed distinctions in all subjects so well chuffed!!! in fact I have no idea how :confused:

but will deffo take you up on your offer :) I think the maths may get tricky!

it must be different for someone who qualifies for full scope accreditation id of thought, i know thats what i have to do, prob cos im going domestic installer first.
you may be better giving them a ring

Being completely honest i'm not so sure I want to go NIC, I can completely understand why you guys do as almost everyone knows the name etc...but I just want to be legal and give a good service.

I am not too worried about competing against other electricians in my area as I have my day job, I just want to be able to do the small works required for my families business without any problems and self-certificate.

Napit seem ok and a friend of mine joined them a while ago and apparently the assessor was very helpfull, not trying to find fault and nit-pick etc

I suppose it all depends who you get :), thanks for your help so far it is very much appreciated

Just resigned from NIC as the costs are too expensive. Its the hidden costs. Example; preperation, call backs, Change of address. Joined ECA and now use Elecsa which are electrician friendly. I base this information on my experience with the NIC for 10 years, ECA 3 years.

<<Don't you believe it, knew someone who asked do you connect lighting circuit as a radial or ring he supposed to be qualified<<

Ok Ian, I hate to to be argumentative..no I don't -;)...but lighting circuits are often connected in a ring if emergency lighting circuits from a battery back up. Not much used these days in new stuff, but still loads about in public buildings

Anyone can be an electrician with NIC, if you have the money...it's a con. Trouble is they have now hoodwinked the public

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone can be an electrician with NIC, if you have the money...it's a con. Trouble is they have now hoodwinked the public

amen

Reply to Wierd one...here goes!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock