Discuss WIFI powerline extenders in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have been having problems with my WIFI connection dropping off in my son's Xbox and in the Samsung smart TV.

A possible solution might be the use of powerline extenders whereby one receiver is plugged in near to the WIFI router and connected with the other being plugged in next to the TV and Xbox. They can be connected via ethernet cable to provide a more consistent signal to hopefully cure the problem.

My main concern when looking at TP Link extenders is that it states both receivers must be on the same electrical circuit. My home is supplied by one mains cable into my distribution board which is then split into a number of individual circuits each with a breaker switch. So as my router is upstairs to the front of the house and the TV/Xbox is downstairs to the back of the house the receivers would be on separate circuits within the house.

Can anybody confirm if this configuration would allow the extenders to work in the way they say they do and provide me with a network using my electrical wiring in the house?

I use these to go from my router to my sons PS4 upstairs. Yes they are on different circuits and I don't have a problem.

i am about to try out a BG wi-fi extender socket.
see what the results are.
https://www.screwflix..com/p/britis...-socket-2-1a-1-outlet-usb-charger-white/8865v

https://www.screwflix..com/p/britis...-socket-2-1a-1-outlet-usb-charger-white/8865v

Please can you let us know how you get on with these and if they are any good.

I did hear rumours that they don't like running through RCDs (eg a dual RCD board with up and down sockets on different RCDs)
I have the D-link extenders and they work fine running from the router to a Sony Bravia TV (didn't want to pay Sony extra £££ for a Wi-Fi dongle).

Note re the
These do a different job, they just boost an existing Wi-Fi signal. The mains power supply is just there to provide power for the booster, not as a medium to transmit the data over the 230V supply conductors.

My main criteria is for a plug through with at least two ethernet ports so I can use wired connection for Xbox and the smart TV. None of my other devices have issues with the WIFI but the recent addition of the smart TV has probably tipped it over the edge. In terms of speedtest.net I get download of 54.52 mbps and upload of 10.02 mbps.

How about something like this. It comes with an 8 port Ethernet switch. Then you can connect anything else near you tv to it. Sky/Cable box, Wii...

If you buy the devolo units you can download a cockpit tool that allows you to see the connection speeds.

Buy units which allow hard wired connections and Wi-fi extenders

RCDs do inpair speeds

As long as you have a single phase supply it will be far better than Wi-fi

A single phase supply - does this mean just the one cable coming into the house? That is what I have as far as I can see although there are two distribution boards under the stairs.

A single phase supply - does this mean just the one cable coming into the house? That is what I have as far as I can see although there are two distribution boards under the stairs.
Most houses only have one phase.
One may be for off peak? Storage radiators etc. Post a photo. We like photos

I used to use powerline adapters. Tried a couple of different brands. Both worked fine for ages, maybe a year or more, then both started regularly dropping out. No amount of resetting and re-pairing could solve the problem, although sometimes it would temporarily. I came to the conclusion that they will fail over time, or maybe I just had cheap brands.

House is single phase supply with RCBO setup, with adapters on separate circuits. No overvoltages on the supply and no real history of power cuts or surges in the last 13 years.

I’ve got one for my cctv in the garage, it’s plugged into a different circuit next to the home hub. It runs through an rcd and a rcbo and I haven’t had any issues. I went for TP Link in the end and it’s been good so far, should suit your intended use fine.

@Dogs Bow Locks
Cannot see any of your pictures. Don't try and set them as an attachment, that doesn't work. Simply drag the jpg file onto the reply test pane. Simples!

Most houses only have one phase.
One may be for off peak? Storage radiators etc. Post a photo. We like photos
As promised 3 pictures showing what is under my stairs. Mains cable comes in and is split between two distribution boards which have individual circuits and breaker switches. Most replies seem to suggest they will work with this configuration.
@Dogs Bow Locks
Cannot see any of your pictures. Don't try and set them as an attachment, that doesn't work. Simply drag the jpg file onto the reply test pane. Simples!
WIFI powerline extenders {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

WIFI powerline extenders P1060099 (1024x768) - EletriciansForums.net

WIFI powerline extenders P1060100 (1024x768) - EletriciansForums.net

WIFI powerline extenders P1060101 (1024x768) - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to WIFI powerline extenders in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock