Discuss WIFI SWITCHES in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi. I bought some WIFI switches for my house recently. The have 1 red, 1 green, 1 black and one white and say they require a neutral. My switches all have 1 red, 2 black and 2 whites that are twisted and capped. Can I still use the WIFI switches that I bought? If so, how do i wire them? Thank you all in advance for any help, it's greatly appreciated.

Hi. I bought some WIFI switches for my house recently. The have 1 red, 1 green, 1 black and one white and say they require a neutral. My switches all have 1 red, 2 black and 2 whites that are twisted and capped. Can I still use the WIFI switches that I bought? If so, how do i wire them? Thank you all in advance for any help, it's greatly appreciated.
photos of existing switch showing connections, and of new switch would be a great help.

I don't have one at the moment but if you were looking at the switch from the front, the 2 black wires are on the right side. One top and one bottom. The red wire is attached to the left side and the white wires are twisted together at the back of the box not attached to the switch. Here is a diagram of the new switchesWIFI SWITCHES 61Wgh98-CrL._SL1500_ - EletriciansForums.net

I don't have one at the moment but if you were looking at the switch from the front, the 2 black wires are on the right side. One top and one bottom. The red wire is attached to the left side and the white wires are twisted together at the back of the box not attached to the switch. Here is a diagram of the new switchesView attachment 51783
Metal the black goes to black, white to white and green to green and the read goes to the light. Please if you are not an electrician I don’t advise you to install this switch. as you probably know that electrical kills

Hi Megawatt,

I am not an electrician but I have replaced switches and outlets dozens of times and in some cases even ran completely new ones. So I am not new to switches and basic electrical but I am new to these smart switches. Plus the switches in my house, the colors are not exactly the same as the smart switches. I wish they were, it would be a breeze. As said in my first post I have 2 blacks (one top and one bottom on the right side of the switch) 2 whites (assuming these are the neutral, twisted up in the back not connected to the switch) and 1 red connected to the left side of the switch. The white wires if they are neutral I need to pigtail off those two to the switch neutral, correct? Then do the same with the black? Then what about a ground? There is usually a copper ground like my sockets have but not in this case.

Reply to WIFI SWITCHES in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock