Discuss Will a 14.5kw oven work on a 32 amp connection? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I have been having problems with my cooker and want to change it.

I have looked at several that say a 32amp permanent connection is required, which is what I have, however, I don't think the specifications sheet is correct.

An example is 14.5kw cooker should be on a 32 amp connection. This does not seem right to me as 14500/240 = 60.4amps.

I have looked at a few and the spec sheets are similar - e.g.....

If I were to use all elements together (e.g. Xmas lunch) am I likely to have problems?

Thanks.

If I were to use all elements together (e.g. Xmas lunch) am I likely to have problems?
No, it will actually be fine.
The only time the cooker would would draw maximum power is if you turn all elements on together exactly at the same time and they are all heating up to the prescribed temperature together. That rarely happens in real life. Even if you did, a B32 circuit breaker wouldn't trip at 60 amps unless the current draw persisted for about 2 minutes, and some elements will have reached temperature by then.
Once an element reaches temperature it stops drawing power until it falls in temperature enough to warrant heating up again, so the current draw in practise would be a lot lower.

qwhat he sais^^^^.it's called diversirty. not allcooker elements on at same time allowsforderatingof the cookerload.

Provided the circuit is fully rated for 32A (so typically at least 6mm cable) it will be fine as described above.

For a domestic cooker the standard allowance is 10A plus 30% of the remainder, and 5A more if a kettle socket is present.

14.5kW = 63A at 230V so requirement would be 10A + 30% (63A - 10A) + 5A = 30.9A so within a 32A circuit.

Reply to Will a 14.5kw oven work on a 32 amp connection? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock