Discuss Will IP-rated GU10 give out less light? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shooby

-
Reaction score
Hello again.

Bro has 4 halogen MR16 ceiling lights which we are going to replace with mains GU10 LED types.

He hates the look of the sparkly reflectors, so I've been looking at alternatives styles including IP rated fittings which will disguise this behind frosted glass.

My question is, how much smaller will the lens aperture be on the IP fitting, and is this likely to affect the light output and/or beam angle?

Thank you.

1.jpg

3.jpg

The Enlite Sprytes are seriously bright (if existing hole suits, just 64mm for them). They are far from expensive as well, great little lights. White surround though.

Thank you gents. I think.
My bro needs help, Murdoch, in every sense of the word... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
He isn't practical - hasn't a clue about such stuff - so that's where I come in (with your help).
Thanks for all the suggestions; these JCCs do look very nice, Telectrix.
The reason for going for GU10, tho', is because Philips make them in 'soft glow' form, which means they become warmer as they are dimmed just like the halogens they'll replace - that was an essential characteristic.
And the only reason for considering the IP-rated versions was that they'd 'hide' the glitzy lamp behind it :) I have since had confirmation from a supplier, tho', that the IP rated versions will reduce the beam angle to some degree, and almost certainly the light output to some degree too.

Cheers, all, but boring white GU10 holders it'll have to be.
:)

The IP rated lights have the lamps sitting on a ‘ledge’ within the body I guess for heat release or condensation release but yes, the beam is reduced so some angled light is lost. I don’t like it personally so you’re better off getting an integrated as has been suggested.
I tend to buy my lamps on the looks of the frontage coupled with the make and quality.

The Ansell Twistlock fittings have the gu10 sit tight to the glass. So beam angle is very high and no loss of light output. At least none worth mentioning.

The non twistlock style the lamp sits up from the glass around 5-10mm and this affects beam angle dramatically.

Like 6 lights needed with the non TL in a space that 4 would be more than enough in the TL style.

A little late - but I generally use non-integrated downlight fittings from KSR (bruised finger tips = V strong springs !) or Saxby shield (push fit) with Osram, Phillips, etc LED Gu10 lamps due to future proofing/maintenance...
lamp will glow... lamp will blow!

Reply to Will IP-rated GU10 give out less light? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net