Discuss Will this work? (For connecting 50 amp RV outlet to dryer) in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

wrybread

DIY
Reaction score
I'm a DIY'er helping a friend connect a 220v dryer to a 50 amp RV outlet.

The dryer has a Nema 10-30R plug and is in a shed about 4 feet from the 50 amp outlet.

I'm thinking about getting this cord to plug into the 50 amp outlet:

cord.jpg

And connect that to this 30 amp outlet:

plug1.jpg plug2.jpg

And put that in a double gang box inside the shed:

And plug the dryer into that.

Thoughts?

And the 50amp cord has 4 wires, how do I connect those to the 30 amp plug, which has 3 connectors?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I'm a DIY'er helping a friend connect a 220v dryer to a 50 amp RV outlet.

The dryer has a Nema 10-30R plug and is in a shed about 4 feet from the 50 amp outlet.

I'm thinking about getting this cord to plug into the 50 amp outlet:

View attachment 103250

And connect that to this 30 amp outlet:

View attachment 103251 View attachment 103252

And put that in a double gang box inside the shed:

And plug the dryer into that.

Thoughts?

And the 50amp cord has 4 wires, how do I connect those to the 30 amp plug, which has 3 connectors?

Thanks for any help.
We’ll you need to change the 3 wire plug to a 4 wire. If it’s the actual cord and plug you can buy 4 wire at Lowes or Home Depot. If it is the receptacle then change it out to a 4 wire receptacle. The extra wire is the equipment ground missing.

We’ll you need to change the 3 wire plug to a 4 wire. If it’s the actual cord and plug you can buy 4 wire at Lowes or Home Depot. If it is the receptacle then change it out to a 4 wire receptacle. The extra wire is the equipment ground missing.
Thank you. But wouldn't a 4 wire receptacle not accept a Nema 10-30 dryer plug? I'm trying to avoid using an adaptor if possible.

The Nema 10-30R plug does not have an earth, and I understood it's not supposed to be fitted to appliances any more. It's presumably an old dryer? Surely the best course of action is to change the plug (including presumably the cable, as per Megawatt) on the dryer, unless you still want to be able to plug it into an old Nema 10-30 socket somewhere? (in which case that could/should be changed as well!)

Reply to Will this work? (For connecting 50 amp RV outlet to dryer) in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net