Discuss Win 10 Update Woes in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

freddo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm currently having issues with W10 update, specifically update KB4560960. This update wrecked my PC and a relatives PC, resulting in endless restarts. After spending 2 evenings attempting to repair the damaged MBR amongst other things I had to throw in the towel and fully reinstall windows.

I caught my laptop with this update in its to-do list, and have currently paused updates for as long as windows allows. There are other security updates that I do want to install, but W10 doesn't allow users to select updates. I have used the windows show/hide update tool to hide the defective update, but it is still showing in the ready to download list and I'm terrified if I click the download button it will be installed.

I have my wi-fi connection listed as metered and update settings set to not download on metered connections to hold it back at the moment. I'm currently working 6-7 days a week and I don't have the time or energy to reinstall windows if the update breaks this computer as well. I feel sick every time I shut down a computer and it says it it is installing updates, half the time that means something isn't going to work the next time you switch it on. I'm getting tired of fighting with this awful operating system. Though at least the 'new' edge browser hasn't taken over either computer yet, like it did my mother's.

Basically my question is, how do I block KB4560960 while allowing other updates to be installed?

What specific issues has this update caused? Having just checked my own update history, I can see this update was installed on 12th June and I've not encountered any problems.

I agree Win10 is a pain in having very limited control over updates, but I've generally found this to be more problematic on older machines which had been upgraded from an earlier OS.

It hasn't on this computer yet, as I caught it before it had a chance to download. I really don't want to let it install to find out...

As it's not an optional download, I can't see any way of preventing its installation other than the steps you've already taken. Unfortunately that means you stop all updates, which is why I was curious about the issues you've encountered with this update on other machines.

In short, I'm wondering if those same issues are likely to manifest themselves on your machine.

The burden of Win10 can become too much for older machines which had been upgraded from an older OS, but generally newer hardware (intended to run Win10) will be less susceptible to such problems.

The burden of Win10 can become too much for older machines
My 2 computers are both less than 2 years old and were supplied with win10 as was my mothers. My PC that I had to reinstall w10 on is quite high spec.

Oh ---- it I'm just going to install the updates. God I hate windows 10.

Oh ---- it I'm just going to install the updates. God I hate windows 10

I bet you said that when 8 came along.

I have a pc that I don’t use much, and every time I do turn it on, it takes ages to install all the updates. Hours.
Sometimes it stalls, but eventually it comes round without having to reinstall from scratch

My 2 computers are both less than 2 years old and were supplied with win10 as was my mothers. My PC that I had to reinstall w10 on is quite high spec.

Oh ---- it I'm just going to install the updates. God I hate windows 10.

Not good.

I'd been curious if maybe they were older machines and being pushed past their limits.

i never turn mine off. just select "sleep" when not in use. however, i'm on windoze 7.

maybe this helps,
I had tried that, I couldn't get it to work.
I bet you said that when 8 came along.
I skipped 8, wasn't that more aimed at tablet computers?
With windows I started with 95 then 98, XP, Vista, 7 now 10. 10 has been my least favourite. Users have little control over their computers and the OS is just jammed full of junk no one asked for.

I don't like the patronising messages either such as 'please wait, we are making windows better' and 'We noticed that you regularly use your device between ‏‎17:00 and ‏‎00:00. Would you like Windows to automatically update your active hours to match your activity? We won't restart for updates during this time.' No I don't wan't you to update my 'active hours' I specifically set them to hours I'm not at my computer so you don't restart it without my permission! (and they had the nerve to automatically change that setting the other day without my permission, they seem to be really pushing it at the moment).

I dislike the fact that I have had to spend so much more time in regedit and with the command prompt just to carry out simple tasks because the normal gui ways have been blocked by ms. I don't want edge, 'new' edge, cortana, xbox, adverts on the start menu, adverts on the lock screen, adverts in the notification area, adverts on the welcome screen, the welcome screen itself, focus 'assist', to link my computer to my phone, to log in with a microsoft account, timeline, spotlight and many more!
i never turn mine off. just select "sleep" when not in use.
Don't worry, W10 turns your computer off for you if it wants to install updates! It even closes all the programs you have open, even if they are in the middle of a task, how helpful!
I'd been curious if maybe they were older machines and being pushed past their limits.
I think one of the issues users were having with this update was it was deleting drivers it didn't recognise and replacing them with generic windows approved ones, whether they were compatible with the installed hardware or not.

Some good news, after running win update it installed all the security updates ok. It downloaded and attempted to install KB4560960 even though the update was set to not install with the show/hide tool. But as with many other users the updated failed to install. Hopefully that will be the end of this until the update and all its problems are fixed by microsoft.

Reply to Win 10 Update Woes in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net