Discuss Wind Turbine Technicians in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

drobb

Hi
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I would like to know if anyone has heard of an electrician making the change to a Turbine Technician working on large wind farms either on or offshore.
I have an interest in this field but can't seem to get any info about training. I know Northumberland college do a 20 week course but it's 3 grand and I'm not sure where that would get me.
Thanks in advance

Iam in the same boat mate want to make a start but getting no info on how to. I no somebody that I worked with made the move and he loves it, he fell lucky tho : (

I tried for a few wind turbine maintenance jobs. I have an aerospace maintenance (avionic) background and because of redundancy etc have been looking at what other fields I could move in to, Wind turbine Maintenance being one of them. Because it's a 'young' area to get into, the skills wanted by the adverts I applied too were not very specific. I wasn't succesfull at all though and have since discovered that on the maintenance side it's more mechanical orientated. Greasing bearings/gearboxes, checking torques of bolts etc so I do think on the maintenance side they look for electrically biassed people. Anything beyond simple press-to-test electrical faults I imagine the manufacturers are involved.

I understand Vesta (I think) are one company involved in it. Also try searching on Monster jobs for 'Wind Turbine' or 'Wind turbine technician'. I have seen a few jobs on Monster but there's also a lot of agencies that will waste your time, as no doubt you'll know already.

Look on bwea.com for jobs. All wind farm companys put you through all the training you need. Siemens who i work for take anybody on as long as u r electrical, mecanical or ex forces. Siemens are the biggest

If your prepared to invest in yourself by gaining working at heights and rescue training(2 day course) and first aid at work (3 day course) and you have NVQ level 3 or equiv in elect or mechanical eng, then you can contact companies like B9 who will give you a go at seasonal or holiday cover work, even if you've never climbed a turbine. It's a great way of gaining the experience that an employer will see as valuable. It got me a full time job!!

Reply to Wind Turbine Technicians in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net