Discuss wind up IR testers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reminds me of my college days.................Unfortunately lol

I remember when I was at college and the lecturer was about to demonstrate how to use a wind-up insulation tester. He picked out one lad who had a looped earring in each ear. He proceeded to place a clip on each earring and gave the tester handle a little twitch............I didn’t know somebody could jump that high!!!!

Glenn, Some nice pictures there. I had a student bring one into class and we measured the output voltage and current. 426V at 1.6mA Still working and would still be, unofficially, suitable for the job

Aye happy days, when testing was a shorter sequence .......polarity, earthing ,insulation, continuity (or as i was taught. people eat ice cream)

i did a spell in maintenance 1962 as an apprentice and i can remember winding one of these connected to a wheatstone bridge testing the windings on motors (my arm aches just thinking about it )

reminds me of antiques roadshow lol.

philistine. those testers were the dog's danglies in ther day, and most will still work. see if today's flukes will still be going in 60 years time. LOL.

They're beautifully made pieces of equipment. I bought a couple a few weeks ago (posted pics here), not sure what they're worth but I get the impression there still quite a few of them around so probably not too much.

yeah..well the reason i posted these pics in here was because theres some images of the internal parts/construction....

Interesting pics, but any chance of posting larger file sizes, when I try to open the files, they come up postage stamp size?

Similar to my first Ductor. That had two mahogany cases, one with the instrument, the other the batteries.

It was the mates job to lug it in to place, set it all up and run the test leads out. In the mean time I would be pretending to write the statutory reports. I’ve always been an idle sod.

First time I met a wind up Megger was when I was 8 and the electricity board man came to repair the cooker.He got me to hold the leads while he wound the handle slowly.He would probably get arrested today.He also let me sit in his Austin A40 van and turn the ignition on so that was alright.

I'd have no hesitation whatsoever using a wind-up IR meter today of a trusted unit!! I have 2 at home a Robin and a Megger. Compared them both many times to the reading values obtained on my CM500, and are as near as dam it identical on both IR and low ohm ranges!!

I'd have no hesitation whatsoever using a wind-up IR meter today of a trusted unit!! I have 2 at home a Robin and a Megger. Compared them both many times to the reading values obtained on my CM500, and are as near as dam it identical on both IR and low ohm ranges!!
this is it...theres a `myth` going round that just because it aint got a DRO...its obsolete and cant be used....as you says..its rubbish...further more theres a lot to be said as well for analogue low resistance ohmmeters....good for finding high resistance joints in the back of accessories on an end to end....without removing fronts....

Reply to wind up IR testers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net