Discuss Winding resistance tolerances in three phase motors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi guys,

Is there a standard tolerance percentage that should be followed when checking the winding resistance of each coil on a three phase electrical motor?

The general rule of thumb I followed when measuring winding resistance was that each phase winding had to be identical or close to identical, the resistance would

vary on each motor due to the cross sectional area of the winding.

I've searched the web and there is varying opinions from +/- 5% and +/- 10%.

I just want to know what your thoughts are? The IEC to my knowledge haven't posted anything regarding this.

Thanks,

Ewan

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I suppose it depends what you are testing for. If it's acceptance testing then you need to know what the manufacturer intended. If not then I don't set much store by the readings, it's quite possible to get shorted turns that can't be detected by a simple DC resistance check at all. 10% would satisfy me, either the windings are OK or the fault is not going to be revealed by a resistance test.

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember coming across any IEC or NEMA sepcs on this but the winding resistances should be pretty close, anything over a 5% descrepency would make me curious. I'd say that especially with commercial 3-phase motors, once you get over a few horsepower the winding resistances are going to be pretty low and a normal multimeter may struggle with accuracy. In the real world I'd be much more interested in the on-load running currents.

Reply to Winding resistance tolerances in three phase motors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

M
Hi I am new to electrical engineering. I want to measure the 3 phase voltage near the water pumpset motors. I have connected phase lines to earth through a diode and six 1 mega ohm resistors (measuring the voltage across resistor). The same earthing wire is connected to ground in my dc circuit...
Replies
Views
Manjunath
M
Z
Hello all, I recently was asked to quote a three phase motor install within a pallet factory. To be honest, I was somewhat stumped in how to attack it as the sheer size and the control cabinet was gigantic. Although I'm mainly a domestic, commercial spark, this was somewhat out of my league. The...
Replies
Views
netblindpaul
N
C
A number of 3 phase induction motors and a single phase motor are fed via a p.t.o driven generator. There is a small current imbalence between the phase feeding the single phase motor and the other 2 but this i think is acceptable. How much of a current imbalenbce in amps (A) would be deemed...
Replies
Views
stitch
stitch
D
I am wiring 3 3 phase motors, 1.1 KW each via 3 STOP/START manual starters. If one starter locks out for any reason, the others also need to close down simultaneously. I initially thought that I would have to have a relay in each starter connected in series but I've realised that won't achieve...
Replies
Views
Knobhead
K
D
Hey everyone i'm working on my final semester project on fault diagnostics of SINGLE PHASE induction motors.... i've searched through the internet for fault diagnostic techniques and all i got from there are the ways to diagnose faults in "THREE PHASE INDUCTION MOTORS"... SO wanted to ask if...
Replies
Views
Knobhead
K

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

E
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new campaign from electrical industry body The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP). With thousands of searches each year on terms such as...
Replies
Views
Marty92
Dan
  • Article
You can now link your account with social media by going to the following page. https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ We had this feature some time ago but I removed it when Facebook was found to be selling the data they collected without informing the users of what...
Replies
Views
Dan
Dan
  • Article
There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics. Read the actual threads here:- What should be the code for this - C2 or C3 -...
Replies
Views
Jurassic Sparks
Jurassic Sparks
James
  • Article
The Go Plus hot tub is being recalled because you could get electrocuted taking a dip, according to press releases from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI). An Amazon spokesperson said: "Safety is a top priority at Amazon. "We require all products offered in our store to comply...
Replies
Views
Dave Appleby
D
Dan
  • Article
Posted on behalf of @CKI:C.K-Tools Carl Kammerling International Ltd, also known to as ‘CKI’, are the company behind the C.K Tools brand. Founded in Germany in 1904 and with roots stretching back to 1790, we provide a wide range of hand tools, tool storage, power tool accessories and...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix

Search Forum

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.