Discuss Window shutter installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Empire

-
Reaction score
evening folks,
Just wanted thoughts on window shutter installation.

To rcd or not?

Fixed appliance and load but potential escape route so leaning towards not, however, t&e on blockwork under dot & dab so less than 50mm.

The shutter controllers are double insulated and smart with WiFi. The suppliers are German and give no direction one way or the other.

Opinions much appreciated.

Thank you.

If they are on an escape route can you still exit the property if there was a power cut ?

Installation method requires RCD protection.

Edit: Also reliance on electronic devices around escape routes I would suggest should be avoided.

There are 13 downstairs shutters. 3x folding patio doors 10x ground floor windows. All could serve as exits.
Surely there is some sort of internal mechanical override for the shutters? Who is installing them would think it would be their problem to ensure building regs were met (if any actually apply) rather than yours.
If it’s domestic you’d be pretty hard up to avoid RCDs without extra protection or something like surface pyro

Surely there is some sort of internal mechanical override for the shutters? Who is installing them would think it would be their problem to ensure building regs were met (if any actually apply) rather than yours.
If it’s domestic you’d be pretty hard up to avoid RCDs without extra protection or something like surface pyro

The main contractor and client are responsible for the physical installation and, quite rightly so, is not my problem. I've provided the electrickery requested and already included rcd protection but as I've not worked with these products before wanted to check there wasn't another way.

Reply to Window shutter installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock