Discuss Windows10 in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheapest would probably be to try an alternative free operating system such as Linux.

While I agree it's the cheapest option, it's not suited to most everyday users. I started with a web-book on linux when they were the next big thing before almost everything became a tablet or tablet-like device. It wasn't long before I got a copy of Win XP on it because it was a more familiar interface and there wasn't any faffing about with console command line gibberish.

The nicest linux set-up i had was Slackware with a KDE desktop in the early norties but it took a friend on IRC to basically walk me through the install and when things went ---- up it was always a slog to get it fixed, even with a genius friend on IRC.

Many years ago I rang Microsoft support and claimed my girlfriend left me and took all my CDs of which one was a Windows CD, I bet 98 thinking back now, is that the one we had for 10 years lol. And gave them the hard sell. Can't get hold of her. She took my dog. My annistacia cd too.

They gave me a key over the phone.

My PC had died, and I didn't have the original windows CDs. I got my mates but his code wouldn't work again. Was a last resort and I didn't think itd work. My mate was in stitches.

Not sure if the lady believed me or just thought it was the weirdest thing she heard that week and wanted me off the phone.

Managed to get back online though.

And that was to fix a forum back then too. A car one.

The things I do for me forums lol

You don't actually need a license you can just run a simple command every 3 months and you'll get another 3 months trial - just Google how to reset the trial period.

Functionality is exactly the same as paid version

Where does that leave you though if you have microsfoft office and many other windows products?
Most office programs have an open source alternative. OpenOffice, I think?? They can usually open Microsoft files ok

I’m toying with a live usb version of Linux just to see what it can do.

Reply to Windows10 in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net