Discuss windscreen wiper doing there own thing!! in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My rear wiper on my Ibiza Mk3 comes on all by itself and stays on all the time even when the switch is off but then sometimes will stop for a while then a little bit down the road will start off again on its own. Sometimes the front wipers will work on their own as well with the wiper switch off but its mainly happening on the rear wipe i have un pluged the connection on the steering column that operates the washers which has stop the fault but i need to have the washer for mot. if anyone can help please bad news driving in the dry with the wipers working!!

Hi Ruston, the car has not been damaged during my ownership it may have had a knock looking at front bumper at some point, and for sure it's get on a bit, but the wipers were working fine and then just started to act up. I have checked the front wiper motor, all clean across the off gaps and no carbon build up, i have taken the stork switch apart again all good, the relay looks good but it has a mass of electronic conponants on the pcb no signs of heating or dry joints, the rear wiper is dry this model does have a problem with the washer hose coming off and covering everything with fuild. I am thinking it may be a bad earth but i not sure were to start on that.

If it had just been the rear-the rear harness may be damaged through the hatch . The behaviour with both being affected seems to be the switch or related to shorting.
Is it 'push forward for rear, and pull back for intermittent front wipe '.
If so is the lever slack ,or positive.

A mad guess,but does this vehicle have rain sensors? Had this ages back,when such things were novel,driver said vehicle had similar fault,that only occurred when it rained!

A mad guess,but does this vehicle have rain sensors? Had this ages back,when such things were novel,driver said vehicle had similar fault,that only occurred when it rained!

Just out of curiosity I had a quick Google on that point. Still not sure lol. but that car does have gremlins in the wiring.
Sounds familiar lol.

I'm old enough,just,to remember it would have been ridiculous to suggest a vehicle would decide,without consent,to alter/adjust/engage the following;music,radio,lights,headlamp beam direction,temperature,drive torque,braking,door locks,windows,wipers etc etc

If i was in the middle of the Gobi desert,and survival depended on choosing either a Viva HA with four flat tyres,or a showroom new Rangerover....I'd be oiling up the leather washer,in me brass foot-pump :lips:

It's all the crap they think they need on the diesels that gets too me.
If you kept them clean , serviced, lubricated, Hitler could't stop one once they got started.
And they have always been 'high milers'.

Ok a big thank you too all, Ruston you were bang on the money, I took a second look at the switch. Managed to get a wiring diagram and with a couple of wires linking the contacts and simulated the switch operated proving it was not the relay or anything else
The switch is a reversing double pole, push it forward and the rear wash wipe is operated, pull it towards you and the front screen is washed and wiped. The switch reverse the polarity to the wash pump depending in which direction you operate it I guess there must be a couple of diodes on the relays to stop any short circuits, so two faults, first the plastic nipple that pushes against the switch arm had worn down allowing the switch contacts to sit across the front switch tracks, the second problem was a build up of copper on the back of the switch partly bridging the to switch contacts giving an Intermittent fault to the rear, the fix simply welded a plastic spacer on the back of the switch lever and adjusted Spring so switch seats in the neutral part of the switch sorted.
quote for replacement switch £127.00 +vat you guessed it you have to buy the complete steering column switch assembly.

.....quote for replacement switch £127.00 +vat you guessed it you have to buy the complete steering column switch assembly.
Sounds like you were speaking to the Seat main stealership :)

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for taking the time to let everyone know.

Reply to windscreen wiper doing there own thing!! in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net