Discuss Wire and hot pipes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tedglen2

Hello – looking for some advice. I had an electrician rewire the house. He has finished over two weeks ago. I have pulled up some floorboards ready for some bathroom plumbing and have noticed. Some of the wires cross over the central heating pipes. They are about 1cm off from touching!!! Is there anything I can put over the pipe to stop the wires resting on the warm pipes?

Without rerouting pipes or cables, the easiest thing would be to put foam lagging on the pipes.

edit...

unless they're going through holes or in notches!!!

Ted, weren't you doing the wiring under the sparkies supervision? That's my understanding from the previous threads mate and if so he can't have done a very good job of overseeing that bit of the install and you don't really have much of a comeback I'm afraid

Get him back to re-route the cables correctly. Tell him to look at the big green book, 522.2.1.

Is the BGB printed in Polish... :lol:

dont see what esle he could have done. the wires would have to cross pipework at some point ? they not touching the pipes, i am just worried that if the wires go slack over time then they will be. The foam insolation should be ok ?

Do the cables go through notches? Are the notches covered with anything? Do the cables cross above or below the pipes?

cables go through holes... most cables run below but there are a few that run over in certain areas where the pipes run low. will the foam pipe stuff be ok on the warm pipes ?

I take it the pipes are parallel to the joists and the cables are crossing over the pipes...
I'd be happy with the foam insulation, it does work very well.

so do as said. insulation overr the pipes where they are close, as per archy's excellent picture ( bet that wasn't done by a wet-head.)

that's what it's designed for.

true, but insulation works both ways. it stops cold getting in and also stops heat getting out. the alternative is to lag them with asbestos, but not recommended if you want to live as long a me.

Get the sparky to rewire your house again. Im sure he'll be happy to oblige. It is, after all, easier than slipping a little bit of insulation between the pipe and cable.

Get the sparky to rewire your house again. Im sure he'll be happy to oblige. It is, after all, easier than slipping a little bit of insulation between the pipe and cable.
Why was it not done properly in the first place?

Reply to Wire and hot pipes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock