Discuss Wire diameter for garage. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Muzza2977

DIY
Reaction score
I have purchased a property and need to run power about 50m to a garage. Planning to get everything ready so a sparky can just finish it off. I have 2 questions before starting project.
1. Will 2.5mm twin core+earth be large enough?
2. Can it run from existing garage or should I dig trench to the fuse box which will add another 25m onto the length.

Ask the spark that will complete the job to come and specify the cable.
last thing you want is a shiny new cable that nobody will connect.

depending on what the power use in this garage may be, it might be as big as 16mm cable required.
be honest with the contractor about expected power use and they will guide you.

Thanks. Haven't moved in yet just trying to plan ahead. Was going to ask when I get quotes for solar but thought I'd try here beforehand.

The only comment I'll make on this thread is go for bigger cable than you think you might need. I'd never go less than 6mm2 and usually bigger.
The cost of the actual cable will be small part of the overall cost of the whole job, and it'll save the future conservation that I've had many times, when a future sparky tells you that you can't do that without upgrading the supply cable.

The only comment I'll make on this thread is go for bigger cable than you think you might need. I'd never go less than 6mm2 and usually bigger.
The cost of the actual cable will be small part of the overall cost of the whole job, and it'll save the future conservation that I've had many times, when a future sparky tells you that you can't do that without upgrading the supply cable.
I agree with the general sentiment of the above.
however, this is a 70m run of cable so it may make a bigger difference to the overall cost of most garage jobs that are less than 15 to 20m runs.

Reply to Wire diameter for garage. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net