Discuss Wire found in fireplace in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chris_daw

Hello,

I've just had an old back boiler replaced with a new combi and had the fireplace left open with a view to turn this into a cabinet for sky box etc.

We've come across a wire, which I believe was supplying the power to a switch below the old gas fire (although I'm not sure what the switch did!)

I'm hoping that this can be used to put a plug socket in the fireplace, but if not can anyone give any suggestions of what this could be used for?

The wire, incase you can't see the image - has blue, bare, yellow and red.

Thanks!image.jpg

That's a shame!

What are my options for getting power to the fireplace? I've thought about making that hole (in the picture) bigger and running an extension from the plug socket a couple of metres away, but it would probably look slightly messy!

That's a shame!

What are my options for getting power to the fireplace? I've thought about making that hole (in the picture) bigger and running an extension from the plug socket a couple of metres away, but it would probably look slightly messy!
well not really...as its likely it would`v been flat as a fart anyway being subjected to heat from the fire that was there....(think IR)....

Chris, Glenn is just round the corner from you, why don't you ask him (really nicely) if he'll come round and quote you for the job. You never know, if he's in a good mood.....

Chris,
It is a bit hard to advise the best way of getting a socket to the fire place as it depends on loads of factors,
e.g. to you have a solid floor of floor boards, laminate floor etc and a load of others to numerous to mention.
May be best to call a sparky.

nothing wrong with using that cable

check the rating of your fire you want to fit.

if its just a light up fire, 1.5mm will be perfect !

depends where the cable goes to / fed from lol

chas a cable horizontally from socket. as said before, glenn's your man. job done proper and safe. ( as long as you get him there before the pubs open) .

Reply to Wire found in fireplace in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net