Discuss Wire gauge query when doing relay conversion for headlights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

The headlight (Dip and especially High Beam) on my motorcycle, is know to be able to be greatly improved when converting the wire feed instead of being via the switch, over to a more direct feed via a couple of relays. At the same time instead of the 18 gauge wire via the switch being the feed wires, I will use 10 gauge or 12 gauge wire via the relays for the feeds to the dip and high beam .

The one question I'm not sure about, must I also at the same time upgrade the earth wire from standard 18 gauge to 10 gauge or 12 gauge wire for this to be fully effective?

Thanking you in anticipation. ?

as the earth wire carries the sameload current as the feed cable, then I would upgrade to the same size.

Reply to Wire gauge query when doing relay conversion for headlights in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Before I pay an electrician to come check my work, I thought it worth a post here. I don't want to pay the cost of a small car for a whole-house...
Replies
Views
I thought that I posted this in the DIY part of the forum but I believe I did not. I am sorry about that. I put in a 10' x 20' metal shed about...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, I'd like to get my Nest thermostat up and running with the gas combi boiler (Worcester Greenstar HIghflow 440 Standalone). FYI - I...
Replies
Views
Baja wiring harness LED light help. I've fitted a US Baja harness on my Australian FJ, but I need to replace the Baja harness switch setup so...
Replies
Views
I'm using the stock fuel pump wiring to trigger two different relays for my two fuel pumps on my car built for drag racing. The first relay is a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock