Discuss Wire question - h07z-types cables. BS EN 50525-3-41 6491B. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

zoltan

-
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm trying to find an answer from the web but I have just got more confused.

I've got lots of h07z-types cables. BS EN 50525-3-41 6491B.
Can it be used for power circuit?

More specifically, I would like to install a socket in my garage to use an electric heater.

View attachment 34969

Last edited:
The info I've found on current rating states 17A. Which should be okay if I'm using with a 16A breaker. But I don't know if it's allowed here.
And I don't want to burn my house. Some other websites says this type of cable is for lightning.

Can you give me any advice please?

The info I've found on current rating states 17A. Which should be okay if I'm using with a 16A breaker. But I don't know if it's allowed here.
And I don't want to burn my house. Some other websites says this type of cable is for lightning.

I have just checked and the cable you describe is a single core, correct? how are you intending to wire the heater in your Garage? is the Garage adjoining your house, or is it a stand alone Garage?

I have just checked and the cable you describe is a single core, correct? how are you intending to wire the heater in your Garage? is the Garage adjoining your house, or is it a stand alone Garage?

Thanks for the reply.
It's multi core cable (7) 1.5mm. it's a stand alone garage (more like a man cave). The heater is 2kw electric one plugged into the socket. This would be the only thing in the circuit.

Thanks for the reply.
It's multi core cable (7) 1.5mm. it's a stand alone garage (more like a man cave). The heater is 2kw electric one plugged into the socket. This would be the only thing in the circuit.
The best advice I can give you Zoltan is to get an Electrician to run you a supply to your Garage properly in conjunction with BS7671 Wiring Regulations, your method is a dangerous one, the cable is to small for starters. That's the best advice I can offer

The best advice I can give you Zoltan is to get an Electrician to run you a supply to your Garage properly in conjunction with BS7671 Wiring Regulations, your method is a dangerous one, the cable is to small for starters. That's the best advice I can offer
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the reply.

That is not multi core cable, it is single core stranded conductor as far as an electrician is concerned.
It is commonly referred to as singles, it can only be used inside a suitable containment system, such as conduit and trunking, it cannot be used on its own in normal circumstances

Also, without being funny, what's a bit of suitable cable cost? Probably next to nothing. Are we honestly trying to save a few pennies here?

Reply to Wire question - h07z-types cables. BS EN 50525-3-41 6491B. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net