Discuss Wire Strippers - which ones? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone have a set of these or similar?

I have a set of these ones...

https://www.screwflix..com/p/c-k-wire-stripper-10-1-4-265mm/97204

...but like the idea of being able to strip the cable head on so as to be able to strip more of the outer sheath when a cable is already inside a backbox/fuse board.

The ones I have leave quite a bit on as you have to have the strippers sideways for them to work meaning more space required.

...but like the idea of being able to strip the cable head on so as to be able to strip more of the outer sheath when a cable is already inside a backbox/fuse board.

The ones I have leave quite a bit on as you have to have the strippers sideways for them to work meaning more space required.
Some love these, some hate these - I think CK crops are the way to go BUT you need a year of so of regular use to master properly. The more complicated the stripper the more to go wrong....(I do mean for wires here) is generally what I find marks out the more worthwhile tools. (note - By CK crops I mean the red handled very sharp ones, not side cutters)

CK T1260 will get further into boxes, but not really as far as you might like in 1G or deep boxes. I like auto strippers, but they rarely come out of the box unless stripping a lot at one time - pocket space is limited and other tools that strip perfectly well are always in them (knife, side cutters and shears/croppers).

To be fair, I don't often work with the flat cables these auto strippers work best with and tend to use shears or knife on round cables.

I have a couple of automatic wire strippers, like the CKT1260, and one like the CK 10 1/4, but, like nicebutdim, they rarely get used.
99% of the time I use strippers like these: https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03424/4-cable-cutter-stripper/dp/TL21086 , and then stripped down with the spring and adjustable stop removed. I use them with one finger between the handles, which serves as both spring and adjustable stop.
Experience tells me exactly where to slide my finger, without any conscious thought at all, so that the insulation is severed without ever marking the copper.

I have a couple of automatic wire strippers, like the CKT1260, and one like the CK 10 1/4, but, like nicebutdim, they rarely get used.
99% of the time I use strippers like these: https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03424/4-cable-cutter-stripper/dp/TL21086 , and then stripped down with the spring and adjustable stop removed. I use them with one finger between the handles, which serves as both spring and adjustable stop.
Experience tells me exactly where to slide my finger, without any conscious thought at all, so that the insulation is severed without ever marking the copper.

That's pretty much the same principle as stripping with larger CK shears.

I use the CK auto strippers a fair bit, but agree that for back-boxes they dont really get right into the box far enough due to having to be used "side -on". I "knife" the rest...
One thing I have noticed is that the red handles can slip off the metal bits, which is very annoying, so need to glue them on if yours are slipping. Also, if you have used lube to pull the cable then they simply slip unless you tighten the gripper thingy...
I'm adding this extra wisdom here, even though it's not exactly relevant, but if you are fitting shrink wrap to identify cables, show SL etc. I use 2 methods:
1. A Dremel gas -powered torch that has a hot air nozzle, so no actual flame...I love it because you don't need any electricity, and
2. A Chinese heat gun that resembles a small hair dryer, and works very well too.
The advantage of method 2 is that if you have a power supply (my car sits outside my garage which has power to it) then if your car doors are stuck with frost and ice, you can open the garage door, switch on the heat-gun which you have placed strategically close to the door, and run it round your door seals and also along the window seals, so your doors open fine and so do your electric windows...no more disconnected window-lifters and the cost involved in fixing that! Yes...I've been there!
I have to say I love my Dremel gas torch...get one for Christmas if you don't already have one!
Tomorrow, I'm going for an interview as a product placement advertiser for JML...
not really! But for applying heat shrink in confined places, the Dremel is ace!
It solders too...and other stuff, but that's more of interest to ..."other trades"!

I've had 2 pairs of the 1260 strippers, and I love them. But they don't last very long before the blade breaks, and the replacement blades cost almost as much as the strippers.
I mostly use my NWS side cutters now.
For round cables I use the Knipex Ergostrip, which is a brilliant tool, even for 25 mm tails.

I had the jokari equivalent of the 1260. I don't think they were ever right even from new though. Sometimes they'd work correctly, other times they wouldn't grip the cable, other times the grip would mangle the insulation. They got thrown out and I just use my CK side cutters now.

I have a pair of CK strippers, but owing to arthritis I have found Bahco 2233D-180 to be the best yet, amazing how sharp & lightweight in the hand, will cut through 10mm like butter. they are 160mm in length but you can get larger ones.
Wire Strippers - which ones? Bahco  shears.PNG - EletriciansForums.net
Also found these Vcelink that may help to stip in backboxes, look to be cheap & cheerful but I think I will order a pair at £11-99.

Attachments

• Wire Strippers - which ones? vcelink .PNG - EletriciansForums.net
    vcelink .PNG
    239.4 KB · Views: 9
Knipex Ergo strip is the best thing I've found so far, have a pair of the cl auto strippers but rarely use them now as ergosttop is so small it's always in the pocket

Anyone use the Knipex Self-Adjusting Wire Strippers 7"? Pretty pricey at £62.99 screwfix. Looking at a wire stripper as I have to do alot alot alot of sockets/switches next week

Never bothered with one always used pocket knife and cutters

Anyone use the Knipex Self-Adjusting Wire Strippers 7"? Pretty pricey at £62.99 screwfix. Looking at a wire stripper as I have to do alot alot alot of sockets/switches next week

Buy a set of CK auto strippers. Klien are a bit more comfy and probably a bit better made, but 3x the price of CK.

I take it they're just for stripping cable? At £63 they'd need to terminate sockets while you drank a cup of tea. Unless you're 2nd fixing all day, every day there's little to be gained.

Reply to Wire Strippers - which ones? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock