Discuss wireing in a loft in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

Edd

Having to deal with a complaint, that a tennents house has recently been rewired and their not happy with the cables in the loft just laying under the insulation. now im sure when any of us do a rewire only sometimes do we clip them, but this persons saying they should be protected by conduit or drilled through the joists!!
any input would be greatfull as Ive gota reply to a stinking email
thanks
Edd

drilled through the joists would mean they are <50mm from ceiling and the joists are weakened. why conduit? do they have rats?

apparently the cables could get dammaged if he was to tread on them going across the joists!!!

New cables just laying under the insulation is poor......normal practice is to clip to the sides of the joists,preferably out of insulation. Even better is to use running boards clear of insulation.....I'd complain if my newly rewired loft had the cables laying under the insulation unsecured.

New cables just laying under the insulation is poor......normal practice is to clip to the sides of the joists,preferably out of insulation. Even better is to use running boards clear of insulation.....I'd complain if my newly rewired loft had the cables laying under the insulation unsecured.

just spoke to the chap who rewired it and theres 200mm of insulation across all the joists and his pushed all the cables along the edges as know joists can even be seen under all the ichy wool

last loft i saw insulated had warning signs " DO NOT WALK IN LOFT- DANGER OF DEATH" and other silliness. i agree the cables should have a degree of clipping and be routed away from the centre of the loft where they cross the joists and clipped to the sides where they parallel the joists. get in there with a box of clips and a manchester screwdriver. couple of hours of sweating should do it.

Wow the householder must be bored...if it was a choice between drilling joists and putting cables neatly to the side I know which one i'd choose. Its a judgement call for the installer IMO, I'm not talking about throwing cables over joists but when there are things in the loft, itchy insulation and its about 100 deg and you can hardly move to begin with I think its acceptable not to clip.

I'm sure if you had added the labour cost to remove all the insulation so you can fix to the joist then put it back again he would have told you where to go. Most lofts I see now that have had the extra layer of insulation added, the added layer runs across the original layer, that makes it even harder to work around.
How were the cables fixed before the rewire?

on all our rewires mainly council rewires we always run over insulstion on running boards and where needed to spout off we use all round band
were needed we run cables in eves

this is mainly due to spec council want
when up in loft wiring it it only takes a little longer to do job tight and once

as for heat/insulation/stuff shoved in loft thats a poor excuse to be honest

thanks for the input, as far as i know it was originlly wired with cables just pushed into the edges,, no clips,, so the sparks has just done like for like.. I understand in an ideal world we would clip them to the edges of joists and I have done just that on new builds. but as others have said, when you cant see the joists and its 100 deg + up there you aint gona spend half the day doing it... can anyone point me to a regulation that can back the sparks up on this? or am i gona be asking him to go back with conduit and re do the lighting circuit!!! thanks again..

PS.. I had read somewhere that a loft is not to be used for storage but is an area to allow a pitched roof for rain to run off. i see the skilled persons only reg here!! i say padlock his loft and tell him its not for storage, and his not allowed up there....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a muppet, if he wanted conduit up there he should've said so before he had the work done! Conduit in the loft, give me stregth

Re: wiring in a loft

The On-Site Guide (17th Amd 1), P127, ...examples of method of support for cables... : "5 For sheathed and/or armoured cables in horizontal runs which are inaccessible and unlikely to be disturbed, resting without fixing on part of a building , the surface of that part being reasonably smooth."

So I would have no problem with twin & earth lying on the plasterboard ceiling and covered with insulation provided that the current carrying capacity of the cable, taking into account the insulation, is OK. I would also make sure that the cables were off the top of the joists in the immediate area of the loft hatch and any other obvious maintenance routes, eg to water tanks, valves, shower pumps, etc.

As handysparks has said there's no requirement for clipping in BS7671. Being a loft I would say there is also no requirement for excessive neatness. Personally I am rarly seen going into a loft with cable clips. I do all my joist jumping right at the edge of the eaves or down the central purlin so that the loft can be boarded without obstruction.

The tenant is a busybody, they obviously just enjoy having something to complain about.

drilled through the joists would mean they are <50mm from ceiling and the joists are weakened. why conduit? do they have rats?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that we're not allowed to drill through ceiling joists, but I could be mistaken.

I cant believe the excuses being found on this thread for a poor job.....lofts shouldnt be used for storage?...there isnt one in the country that isnt full of junk.
Cables in accessible roof voids unsecured and run in a way liable to result in mechanical damage is poor practice regarless of 'regs'. It doesnt take much longer to do it right. Personally I always look in the loft in order to judge a job,if the visible wiring in the loft is cr#p the rest of the job probably is as well.

I cant believe the excuses being found on this thread for a poor job.....lofts shouldnt be used for storage?...there isnt one in the country that isnt full of junk.
Cables in accessible roof voids unsecured and run in a way liable to result in mechanical damage is poor practice regarless of 'regs'. It doesnt take much longer to do it right. Personally I always look in the loft in order to judge a job,if the visible wiring in the loft is cr#p the rest of the job probably is as well.

so you would roll off all the insulation from the joists to find them, then clip along each and every one then reinsulate the loft! nothing like laying stretched out with your face and belly laying in insulation trying to get a clip in! ile stick with clipping where needed and pushing into the eves.

so you would roll off all the insulation from the joists to find them, then clip along each and every one then reinsulate the loft! nothing like laying stretched out with your face and belly laying in insulation trying to get a clip in! ile stick with clipping where needed and pushing into the eves.
It's what we have to do 5 times a week
we have two in loft
do it once do it right

Yep have to say.
It's not pleasant rolling back 30,40,50 year old loft insulation. I hate it.
But I always do it and clip cables to joists wherever possible.
Exception was last week on a bathroom fan install where the loft was filthy, damp, and very very low angle on roof, so no head clearance.
I did advise the client how and why it was done that way. Plus I left enough slack in the cable for it to be tidied up later.
I always work on the premise that nothing stays out of sight forever. For all I know the client may renew the loft insulation the week after I complete the work and be up there working around my cables...

Nothing wrong with cables tight to the edges of the loft...out of harms way. But most of the points wont be at the edge and will need to get across somehow.
Either pull back the insulation and clip to the sides of the joist....or use running boards above the insulation. Either way,there's no excuse for throwing cables across the top because you cant be bothered.What else cant you be bothered to do right?

Reply to wireing in a loft in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock