Discuss Wireless Smoke & Heat Detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have big problems with the Aico radio link alarms, every time I go to my garden office for a crafty smoke I set off the alarm in my office which sets off the alarm in the house, the smoking is not so secret anymore.

#40 did mention this, and you replied #48...but if you now have stock in maybe you will win having beaten the price rises!
I did the Aico installer webinar thingy, and got a certificate, but i can't see a van sticker anywhere.
I sent Aico an email to remind them about the van sticker. They sent a pack of 5.

I have big problems with the Aico radio link alarms, every time I go to my garden office for a crafty smoke I set off the alarm in my office which sets off the alarm in the house, the smoking is not so secret anymore.

Keep a latex glove in that office.

Folks in Scotland should be proactive in pushing smoke alarms, for any gaps in their schedules. Not every householder is going to leave this until the last minute and if you don't take the work somone else will. Might be worth mentioning the issue to customers and dropping a hint that, as time passes, a lot of work could end up being squeezed in at weekend rates.

I’ve got a note going out with current invoices mentioning the new Scottish rules, and I think I’ve got 4 jobs to fit in so far (my own house being one)

was at CEF this morning and the lad said they’d had loads of orders for detectors, so sounds like the other sparks round me are doing the same.... or they’ve got housing association contracts.

I didn't get a van sticker, just a PDF Certificate...
I don't have a van, but still...a sticker would be nice!
Haven't had a sticker since i went to the dentist when i was 5

I didn't get a van sticker, just a PDF Certificate...
I don't have a van, but still...a sticker would be nice!
Haven't had a sticker since i went to the dentist when i was 5

Print the PDF and attach the sticker to it :)

Just a little update on this one guys,

The Scottish Government HAS delayed the date by one year, updated info published 30th December.

"Given the impact of COVID-19, and the difficulties this has created for people seeking to install new smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, we asked and the Parliament agreed to delay the implementation of the new standard until February 2022."

Source info

I've fitted some of the Aico battery ones (EI650RF) recently as a bit of a trial at a premises belonging to my in-laws on a temporary basis until they renovate. Seem like decent alarms, very straightforward to fit and link. Having previously fitted hundreds (if not thousands) of Aico products in the past I'm hopeful that there should be no issues with thee new ones. Only time will prove the life of the batteries. I also incorporated two of their battery-powered manual call points (EI407) at the same time which I was impressed with. (Word to the wise - put the manual call points into link mode before any of the detectors!)

For 5 smoke detectors & 2 manual call points it came to about £430 delivered (ordered from CEF website) but I had them fitted and linked in less than 30 minutes.

Our local council & housing association have both approved the sealed-battery alarms to be fitted when upgrading to LD2 if there is no reasonable way of obtaining mains power to the desired location.

Or just use wireless interconnect battery only units
In the Aico series that doubles the price of the units, this of course can be offset by the cost of installing cable to each unit, its a conundrum, install the better units (3000 series combined CO/Heat/Smoke) and run a mains cable to them, or take the convenient route and instal more units at a higher cost per unit.

In the Aico series that doubles the price of the units, this of course can be offset by the cost of installing cable to each unit, its a conundrum, install the better units (3000 series combined CO/Heat/Smoke) and run a mains cable to them, or take the convenient route and install more units at a higher cost per unit.
I guess that is very property-dependant, etc.

If the house is being rewired it would be crazy not to put in a wired alarm, but I suspect for the majority of cases the more expensive battery units are going to work out far cheaper than running cables in (assuming the situation permits battery-only systems).

I guess that is very property-dependant, etc.

If the house is being rewired it would be crazy not to put in a wired alarm, but I suspect for the majority of cases the more expensive battery units are going to work out far cheaper than running cables in (assuming the situation permits battery-only systems).

Yes, the expensive battery units should be cheaper to the customer, but after 10 years they all have to be replaced at the same price again.

With wired, you only have to replace the detectors, the extra cost in wiring is negated for future replacements.

It’s down to individual customers how much disruption they want.

On a side note, detectors with PP3 battery’s are no longer suitable to meet the new Scottish standards.
However, if not used in the specified locations of landings, kitchen or living room, I would think they could still be used as an addition to the standard.

Yes, the expensive battery units should be cheaper to the customer, but after 10 years they all have to be replaced at the same price again.

With wired, you only have to replace the detectors, the extra cost in wiring is negated for future replacements.
With any luck the better brands will be reverse-compatible, but sadly I would not want to bet on all being so!

I wonder how many folks actually look at the 10 year+ costing?

My first 2 rental properties i fitted with a hybrid system. The requirement for smokes etc in rental properties dates back quite a few years here in Scotland, as does the need for an Electrical Inspection report and an Energy performance certificate. The rental market has had heavy regulation for years.
Anyway, before totally wireless 10 year tamperproof battery detectors were allowed, I fitted systems in 2 flats which, as i said above, were hybrid, in that the "main" smoke in the hall was hard-wired off the lighting circuit, but with an rf module fitted, and the other 2 detectors were of the wireless rf type. I'm told that some LAs permitted this, but i didn't ask them. The theory was simply that in the particular flats in question, once the requisite 2 smokes and 1 heat were installed, there was no more than 3 to 4 m between them. Thus, 1 sounded, you would hear it, and when it set off the other 2, you would be deafened!
I wouldn't have used this hybrid system for much larger properties, and of course those hybrids are now permitted under Scottish legislation. Hard-wiring all of them would have meant raggling (chasing) ceilings and cutting through decorative Victorian cornicing, and making good the damage thereafter. The cost of raggling, plastering after, and subsequently decorating would have been much more, obviously, taken longer, and caused some disruption too.
In a big property this extra work could amount to a lot of cash. Folks seem happy with the wireless, rf system, obviously, and the cost, over 10 years, is pretty negligible, imho. One of the main points in the Scottish Governments Consultation Paper was to encourage compliance, and allowing the battery rf detectors meant people were more likely to comply than if they had to contemplate the mess and disturbance of a hard-wired system. The cost of the hard-wired is considerably more than the extra cost of the rf, however as @littlespark noted above, once you have the wiring in, it doesn't need to be done again.
Easy fit, easy compliance, more homes in a safer state...vs a bit of disruption...the client has a choice, so that's A Good Thing... as Winnie The Pooh was wont to intone.

Reply to Wireless Smoke & Heat Detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net