Discuss Wireless Smoke & Heat Detectors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

BS 5839:2019 Table 1 Grade D (1/2) which covers majority of domestic installations (not sure about Scotland though) states;
Mains Powered and battery back up!

A totally wireless system presumably is not permitted?

The fireangel battery wifi detectors, in my experience at least, don't last.

I've been to a few properties to install wired systems after the owner has installed these and they are failing after 12 months or so.

The regulation states that the batteries should be tamper proof which the Fireangel are.

Something like the Fireangel is the cheapest option but I'd always recommend hard wired Aico with lithium battery backup.

The legislation is available on the Scottish government website and Aico have a guide on theirs too.

BS 5839:2019 Table 1 Grade D (1/2) which covers majority of domestic installations (not sure about Scotland though) states;

The new legislation due in Scotland early 2021 is for all house holds to have smoke/heat detectors installed and the 10 year wireless interlinked are permitted. See 16.5 of attached

Attachments

• smoke alarms.pdf
    306.8 KB · Views: 9
Aico for me. I've installed a few in the past years to make rented properties comply and not had a failure yet, and I will be using them in the coming months. Just worry that as the new Scottish regs become more widely-known, Aico may run out of stock...

Aico for me. I've installed a few in the past years to make rented properties comply and not had a failure yet, and I will be using them in the coming months. Just worry that as the new Scottish regs become more widely-known, Aico may run out of stock...
Aico have just sent out leaflets to everyone on the planet about the change in legislation due in Feb.

I'd imagine Aico will have planned for this and intend getting their product into every possible home.

Aico being very proactive on this.
I got a leaflet through the door last week, from aico on the 12th.... the same day the Scot govt published the same thing on their website.
looked at fire angel pro brand detectors in Homebase today, but I think I’ll still insist on aico.

The new legislation due in Scotland early 2021 is for all house holds to have smoke/heat detectors installed and the 10 year wireless interlinked are permitted. See 16.5 of attached
Just to correct your post
The new legislation for Scotland was introduced in February 2019 with a period of 2 years allowed to meet the requirements of that legislation. The February 2021 date is the date by which all properties must be compliant with the legislation

Just to correct your post
The new legislation for Scotland was introduced in February 2019 with a period of 2 years allowed to meet the requirements of that legislation. The February 2021 date is the date by which all properties must be compliant with the legislation
I knew it had been introduced 2019 with the Feb date for everybody to comply. Most people will be like me, either never payed attention or just don't know.

I'll be getting my finger out over the next few months and getting dad and my own up to spec.

I'm a spark but have never really worked domestic, number one son is an electrician and works for himself, and he says he only uses Aico. My brother keeps looking into cheaper options like HiSpec, I'm just trying to get the consensus from sparks who install these things on a regular biases.

The Aico stuff is expensive, comparatively...and telling customers it will last 10 years isn't helpful, but what price safety?
The answer you will get is "I haven't had these in my house for the 40 years I've been here, so why now?"
Move on...
Fit the best, fit it properly, and you can't be blamed.

Fit quality
Fit once
Fit the best,
and if it's done right, it will stay right
For 10 years anyway!

I've seen guidance (I forget where - possibly in an ESF document), that when a tenant is on a key meter and may go through periods with no power, a battery only solution may be preferable - as it ensures that the alarm is still active when they have no money on a Friday night to load the meter.

Not sure what the standby time is on the mains ones with lithum battery - they may still be the best option though.

From my experience with EICRs on rented properties , the 9V battery backup ones are pointless as they will either run out or be removed when the toast sets them off - same with those on their own circuit - that circuit always ends up turned off.

The legislation is trying to do away with the 9v replacable battery’s for just that... people taking the battery out...

I saw a fire angel pro display in Homebase that stated they were “used by 90% of fire brigades”
Yes.... cheap and cheerful. When the fire service would put one in when none existed before. The cheap ones they put in are now all illegal (in Scotland)
Actually....my local Homebase is in England.

Edit
I signed up for the aico expert installer course... it’s done online now.
possibly just going over the instructions regarding positioning, but maybe I get a badge???

Last edited:
It beggars belief, but as said above, the number of times folk remove the PP3 batteries from alarms for kid's toys, etc. Surprising when thought about, and sad when it is discovered in a fatal accident inquiry.

I personally prefer ones I can replace the battery in, but then I like to think I am not a complete muppet who is going for a trip on moron road!

The legislation is trying to do away with the 9v replacable battery’s for just that... people taking the battery out...

I saw a fire angel pro display in Homebase that stated they were “used by 90% of fire brigades”
Yes.... cheap and cheerful. When the fire service would put one in when none existed before. The cheap ones they put in are now all illegal (in Scotland)
Actually....my local Homebase is in England.
Didn't they have a problem a few years back when a load of their '10 year battery' ones were giving up after 3 years?

Still better than nothing at all I guess...

Reply to Wireless Smoke & Heat Detectors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock