Discuss Wireless Smoke & Heat Detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I usually install a mains powered smoke with 10 year battery, run off the hall lighting circuit, and use radio linked battery only for the other smokes/heat. I think every time the alarm sounds on the battery ones they will deplete a little, but apart from the monthly test that lasts about 10 seconds, i doubt if that depletion will significantly reduce the 10 year life.

BS 5839:2019 Table 1 Grade D (1/2) which covers majority of domestic installations (not sure about Scotland though) states;
Mains Powered and battery back up!

A totally wireless system presumably is not permitted?
The system in Scotland states the fire alarms need to be interlink but does not define if you can’t use wireless to achieve it. Carbon Monoxide alarms don’t need to be interlinked into the system.

I have an EI smoke alarm and it’s worked for 35 years. It’s testing doesn’t need a smoke canister to check although my alarm company checks it yearly. It is connected into my monitored system. It comes in battery and mains powered and wired and wireless.

In Scotland you can now fit all-battery radio linked in rented houses and existing houses. This is to encourage fitting. However, I believe that Building Control have not yet adopted this, so in new builds hard wired mains powered is still the way to go. Nobody ever checked up on my rentals, it's the rules to have detectors, and until recently they had to be hard-wired. Just as with EPCs, it's the landlord's duty to have one, but nobody ever checked unless a problem arose. I used the hybrid layout I mentioned earlier and made an enquiry of BC and they effectively shrugged and said it was fine in the circumstances, but obviously not in writing. Their attitude was that they were more concerned that landlords did actually fit something, rather than do nothing. A tenant did, some years ago, remove the detector from the kitchen ceiling in one of my flats, because of nuisance alarms. Thereafter when I fitted the new Aico system they couldn't readily do that, and anyway nuisance alarms didn't occur.

I have an EI smoke alarm and it’s worked for 35 years. It’s testing doesn’t need a smoke canister to check although my alarm company checks it yearly. It is connected into my monitored system. It comes in battery and mains powered and wired and wireless.
Isnt there a "replace by" date on this smoke detector? usually 10 years also.
EI electronics is Aico under a different name.

The Scot govt publication does state mains powered OR long life battery, with hard wired interlink OR radio.... so that covers it.
It makes sense to make them hard wired in new builds, while the rest of the wiring is being done. Cheaper when it comes to replacing them.

Do you have a link for this as it was my understanding they still had to be hard wired? I'd like to update my info.
It’s on the government U.K. site. If you type Gov Scotland fire alarms in google you should find it. Interested in your opinion hard wired vs wireless and battery vs mains powered. I think the price quoted mentions diy prices and states you need electrician off hard wired!

It’s on the government U.K. site. If you type Gov Scotland fire alarms in google you should find it. Interested in your opinion hard wired vs wireless and battery vs mains powered. I think the price quoted mentions diy prices and states you need electrician off hard wired!
In addition the site mentions a guidance document and I quote from it:
“Mains-operated alarms (with battery backup) are permitted, and tamper proof long-life lithium battery alarms (i.e. not PP3 type or user-replaceable) are also permitted. Alarms should be regularly maintained and tested in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.”

Never seems to get mentioned that the Aico 3000 series of alarms HAVE to be mains powered to charge the batteries that enable the ten year period to be maintained, if not mains powered the battery will keep the units working for four months only.

Never seems to get mentioned that the Aico 3000 series of alarms HAVE to be mains powered to charge the batteries that enable the ten year period to be maintained, if not mains powered the battery will keep the units working for four months only.
I think it's expected that mains powered battery backup detectors would need to have mains power.

It may just be me, but the Aico description could be miss-read:
  • Mains powered with 10 year rechargeable lithium cell back-up
It certainly does not say the alarm must be mains powered and its not until you delve into the small print of the specification that it indicates they will run for four months without mains power.

Its a bit clearer in the Downloaded Data Sheet, but I'm a man I don't read instructions. LOL

https://www.aico.co.uk/product/ei30...o.co.uk/wp-includes/images/media/document.png

Last edited:
Aico instructions;

“The mains and battery power is automatically connected as the Alarm slides onto the mounting plate. Each Alarm comes with built-in rechargeable backup batteries to power the Alarm in the event of a mains failure.”

Pretty obvious to most competent electricians it needs mains supply to recharge the battery, maybe not to DIYers?

Are you top or front loading dryer? LOL

Where I think any confusion could come in is the battery only units are described as 10 year Life Lithium battery units.
  • Battery powered with a sealed in lithium battery
  • Easy to fit – twist on base and multi-fixings
  • 10 year life
  • Standalone unit
As I said above perhaps its just me, I tend to read what is on the page not assume what somebody may have meant.
  • Mains powered with 10 year rechargeable lithium cell back-up
That statement to me reads that the rechargeable Lithium cell will last ten years as per their battery only units, it does not indicate to me that the unit must be mains powered and the Lithium battery has a duty cycle of ten years.

I thought (see your post #29) it was about the 3000 series?

The 'stand alone' lithium powered are a totally different series!

Standalone units also suggests no interlink....

Aico do a wide range of detectors, but I only see 4 that are wholly 10 year battery (no mains)

Carbon monoxide standalone
Carbon monoxide with radiolink
Heat alarm with radiolink
Optical smoke with radiolink

All the rest have mains connection, with either a PP3 or rechargeable battery as back up, and can use a wired interlink.

You can add a radiolink module or base to a mains detector to allow it to communicate with one of the sealed lithium units with radiolink

I installed I think it was 7 of the Fire Angels at our house in Fife when we started to Air BnB and then into full-time rental. No complaints and two years on they all work fine still. Couldn't use a wired system due to the nature of the building and it being Grade 2 listed but the Scottish B&B/Rental regs changed around the same time so a radio solution was permitted.

As always, correct selection is the key.
as for installation, many DIY folks can install the battery ones, but some will baulk at the extra cost of the radio modules to link them. However, the saving in time/labour/decoration etc still makes them a good choice in many homes.

Reply to Wireless Smoke & Heat Detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net