Discuss Wiring 120Vac and 480Vac 3 phase in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Abe5gt

I am wiring a actuator that has 480V power and 120v control wiring. I was wondering if I could wire them through the same conduit.

Both voltages are recognised as LV so unless there are other reservations you have then they're both fine in the same containment.

As the OP has not stated his country of residence and the nature of the voltages expressed i don't think we should be giving him the green light based on British Standards7671 until we get further info'

According to NFPA 70, the insulation of the control wiring must be to the same insulation value and of the same temperature rating as the 480V circuit, when enclosed in the same containment system.

Hi boydy where does it state this. I often find 110v / 230v / 400v in the same containment in industrial applications

Yes you will but note the dielectric strength of each conductors insulation will be rated to 500v probably so acceptable, 414-4-2 (iii) also allows pelv/selv to mix with LV as long as the insulation is rated to the highest voltage present.

Hi boydy where does it state this. I often find 110v / 230v / 400v in the same containment in industrial applications

The op said conduit.
You are generalising on containment.
It looks as though conduit became containment from post 2.

Boydy

Yes but a conduit would normally come from a trunking and go to a single piece of equipment/socket or whatever.
A trunking would carry multiple circuits normally.
The op said conduit.
Boydy

Definition of conduit in English:

conduit

con|duit Pronunciation:

noun

• 1A channel for conveying water or other fluid: nearby springs supplied the conduit which ran into the brewery More example sentences
    • In this case, the floor drain provided a conduit to the storm water sewer and a nearby creek or drain.
    • Roads, railways, water supply conduits, power and communication lines, towns and cities were built to a high technical standard.
    • They consist of a single piece of hardened steel, and their hydraulic fluid conduits are contained in the jacks' interiors, allowing for safer, more efficient operation.
    • Get more examples

• 1.1A person or organization that acts as a channel for the transmission of something: as an actor you have to be a conduit for other people’s words More example sentences
    • Microsoft issued a workaround today to guard against a serious vulnerability in Internet Explorer which created a way for hackers to turn popular websites into conduits for viral transmission.
    • The spectacular advance of AIDS resulted from a virus given new routes of entry: widespread increases in certain lifestyle practices provided a conduit for efficient transmission.
    • They do not enlighten but are used as conduits for making money by religious organizations.
    • Get more examples

• 2A tube or trough for protecting electric wiring: the gas pipe should not be close to any electrical conduit [mass noun]: the cable must be protected by conduit

Origin

Middle English: from Old French, from medieval Latin conductus, from Latin conducere 'bring together' (see conduct).

Reply to Wiring 120Vac and 480Vac 3 phase in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock