Discuss Wiring a 10.5 KW shower run in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

notoriousgib83

Hi,

I'm currently a student doing my C&G 2330 Level 3. I've been asked to wire in a shower for a friend who's just bought a house. Now before you say it I know it's notifiable and I will be arranging a Part P registered spark to come commision it.

My question is the shower is 10.5KW and I'm going to wire it in 10mm on a 50A MCB, with regards to the cable run I'm not sure whether it's okay to feed from the floor and up to the shower unit or whether it must come down the wall from above (the loft). The cable is going to be capped, plastered and the wall tiled. I'm just querying this as it has to go past zone 0 up to the shower if I run it from the floor up the the unit.

You opinions would be appreciated.

The bathroom zones are for appliances and not a cable run behind a wall with tiles. Are you confusing it with safe zones? Run it from below, the shortest route and as Lenny says where are you going to put the pull cord?

Hi I was going to place it on the ceiling just behind the bathroom door, which is just to the left of the shower cubicle door. With this in mind it probably is best to run the cable from above isn't it. Is this an acceptable location?

Yes mate, you need local isolation for all appliances. Sounds like you've answered your own question with regards to you run. Just have a look where you will be drilling the holes for the shower unit, you don't want to make that mistake. I've never done that of course ;).

Hi I was going to place it on the ceiling just behind the bathroom door, which is just to the left of the shower cubicle door. With this in mind it probably is best to run the cable from above isn't it. Is this an acceptable location?

Hope your ceiling is high because pullcord mechanisim should not be in zone 2.

Taken from NICEIC pocket guide 1-2.
Insulated pull cord is acceptable in all zones. Pull cord switch mechanism not allowed in zones 0 1 and 2.

I only put that in because I asked the NIC tech helpline that exact same question about 6 months ago when I had pulled a light pul switch in a shower room at about 2350mm, the builder then built a bulkhead and pulled the cable through at 2150mm. They said it was Ok but he did refer to the BRB

So the builder changed the design and dropped you in it, no change there then lol. Did the tech line say to do a risk assesment?

No the ceilings are pretty low.....bit buggered then because the bathroom is pretty small and there aren't really many places in it that aren't either 0,1 or 2. Probably look at the insulated pull cord option.

No the ceilings are pretty low.....bit buggered then because the bathroom is pretty small and there aren't really many places in it that aren't either 0,1 or 2. Probably look at the insulated pull cord option.
If the ceiling is above 2.25m you are ok with a cord pull isolator, still site it sensibly though. If ceilings are lower then cord pull needs to be more than 60cm away from edge of shower tray/bath. If the room is really small it needs to go in the most sensible available place, remember BS7671 is non-statutory, but outside the room is also a possibility.

Why did you not just put it on a 50a switch outside the bathroom, or at fuseboard, or I'n airing cupboard on ur way up through?

If the ceiling is above 2.25m you are ok with a cord pull isolator, still site it sensibly though. If ceilings are lower then cord pull needs to be more than 60cm away from edge of shower tray/bath. If the room is really small it needs to go in the most sensible available place, remember BS7671 is non-statutory, but outside the room is also a possibility.
60cm rule only applies when shower has a fixed head !

60cm rule only applies when shower has a fixed head !

Not sure what you mean by that as 60cm for a fixed head, as it is the distance that zone 2 extends to from zone 1. Apart from the heights for zone 1 and 2 the only mention I can remember for a fixed head was for showers without a basin, and they don't have a zone 2 with them.

I maybe wrong about that as I don't have the BRB with me at the moment.

at 10.5 kw, pull switches are notorious for burning out, and a pig to connect 10mm. i would be inclined to fit a wall switch outside the room.easier to fit, and outside all zones.

Reply to Wiring a 10.5 KW shower run in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock