Discuss wiring a 2 way switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

carpenter01

Hello, first post here. looks a good forum.

I am wiring a light on the outside of my house.

I have the cable coming from the consumer unit, and the cable form the light. Both twin core and earth.

The switch i have for it looks like this.

L1 COM L2
0 0 0

What do i connect to where? :D

Any help would be much appreciated and i will rep!!!!

Thanks

are both cables coming to the switch? if so link the neutrals through in the backbox and connect the live from the consumer unit to common and the live to the light to L1.

Are you wanting to add a swich in the circuit to make 2 way switching?

no im literally just spurring off the consumer unit, and adding a switch for an outside light. i may have bought the wrong switch...?

thanks for the reply

are both cables coming to the switch? if so link the neutrals through in the backbox and connect the live from the consumer unit to common and the live to the light to L1.

yeah they are. whats the best way to link the neutrals? terminal block?

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally don't think a connector for neutral is rough I do it all the time. its only the same as a SP socket.

Wiring to the switch is a perfectly adequate method these days. Dunno where the idea has come from that it is "rough" but do hear it quite often! We use push fit connectors aswell, quick and easy.

I did use choc blocks and crimps in the past but my NICEIC inspector insisted on DP switch as you have a floating joint and there is a reg for it. its just i carnt remember it

Last edited:
Course using a choc block is ok, its the way its been done for years

Done properly will be no worse than the connections to the light switch..as for crimps personally i wouldnt

Neutral jointed in back of switch a bit rough, douple pole switch might be better.
The problem would arise when you have a multi gang switch Double poles would then mean you may have to be limited to grid switches to group them together
The nic man who said to double pole instead of neutrals in a block, would almost certainly do exactly what he is telling you not to do
Take some of these inspectors advise with a pinch of salt
They need to show perfection, but the real world where safety is not compromised can be a little different to their utopia of electrical installation
The roughness would only be in the performance of the task not the method :)

If this guy who started the thread was an electrician he would not have neet to ask the question in the first place.
you are all giving away you knowledge and secrets that have taken a long time to gain, and your giving it away for free. he should have just called a spark.

If this guy who started the thread was an electrician he would not have neet to ask the question in the first place.
you are all giving away you knowledge and secrets that have taken a long time to gain, and your giving it away for free. he should have just called a spark.

Thats the attitude:rolleyes: He has a HNC in electronics and although the inner workings of a switch may have baffled him (sorry couldnt resist) he should be competent enough to do the work, its not rocket science

Maybe we should all talk in code in case anyones is looking in

Yeah thats right. Because if he hadnt got any help on here, he would DEFINATELY have walked away and not touched it right???

On the other hand he might have gone ahead and "had a go" and zapped himself. But as long as he doesn't know the deep dark secrets of the 2 way swith......

Reply to wiring a 2 way switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net