Discuss Wiring a 4-Function, 3-Switch Wall Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Before you write go get an electrician - I HAVE! And he's never wired one before. AND asked ME to do some research!! Before you also say get a new one - though boy do I want one - it is a long story and not an option.

The switch is to control a bathroom vent fan with an inbuilt light, nightlight and heater - hence the 4 functions. Two switches are normal on-off for the fan and heater, whilst the third has a rocker position to accommodate the light, nightlight and off. Love this switch option which controls all the functions whilst only using 1 gang, so separating it into 4 different switches is something I won't consider (he suggested this option).

The wiring diagram shows three loads going into the junction box, but the electrician has 4 wires for each function coming out of the vent unit. Perhaps the two light functions need to be spliced inside the junction box before connecting to the switch? He doesn't seem to know how or where to integrate the 4th function.

Anyone have any insights? They would be MOST appreciated so I can get back to picking out my sconces :)

Fan:
View: https://www.amazon.com/Broan-Nutone-9093WH-Exhaust-Bathroom-1500-Watts/dp/B001PO29TA/ref=pd_sbs_60_t_0/140-7652250-2779335?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001PO29TA&pd_rd_r=c8ccce8a-7fe9-46af-9271-6daa0eefe2b2&pd_rd_w=DY487&pd_rd_wg=jIsMb&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=03X2D3K22GHVYNS127ZK&psc=1&refRID=03X2D3K22GHVYNS127ZK

Switch:
Bath and Ventilation Fans Range Hoods Fresh Air Systems - Broan - https://www.broan.com/Accessories/Bath-Ventilation-Accessories/List-of-All-Accessories/77DW

Installation guide:
broan.com/BroanPublicWebSite/media/BroanUS_Canada/Documents/installation_guides/77DV-77DW-Installation-Guide-99043742B.pdf?ext=.pdf

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9631.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_9629.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_9628.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_9627.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 7
  • thumbnail_IMG_9626.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_9625.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_9624.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 8
This is how it looks to me:

The switch has two sections: Two ordinary switches sharing a common hot feed (connected with the screw terminals) and a completely independent 3-position switch with its own hot feed (connected by the captive wires). The ceiling unit simply has four hot inputs, neutral and ground.

At the switch, as shown in the instructions, the hot feed needs to split to the common side-wire terminal (to feed the two regular on/off switches) and to the captive black wire (to feed the 3-position switch). Then the four functions of the ceiling unit are connected to the four switch outputs.

Night light (black) to 3-position switch red (one 'on' position)
Main light (yellow) to 3-position switch blue (other 'on' position)
Heat (red) to one on/off switch screw terminal
Fan (blue) to the other on/off switch screw terminal.

It's not shown which of the 3-position switch red and blue outputs corresponds to which switch rocker direction. You might want to swap those over to get the switch operating in the direction you want.

This is how it looks to me:

The switch has two sections: Two ordinary switches sharing a common hot feed (connected with the screw terminals) and a completely independent 3-position switch with its own hot feed (connected by the captive wires). The ceiling unit simply has four hot inputs, neutral and ground.

At the switch, as shown in the instructions, the hot feed needs to split to the common side-wire terminal (to feed the two regular on/off switches) and to the captive black wire (to feed the 3-position switch). Then the four functions of the ceiling unit are connected to the four switch outputs.

Night light (black) to 3-position switch red (one 'on' position)
Main light (yellow) to 3-position switch blue (other 'on' position)
Heat (red) to one on/off switch screw terminal
Fan (blue) to the other on/off switch screw terminal.

It's not shown which of the 3-position switch red and blue outputs corresponds to which switch rocker direction. You might want to swap those over to get the switch operating in the direction you want.
On that drawing it showed 4 loads and that should be pretty simple to wire. Just listen to Lucien and good look

Reply to Wiring a 4-Function, 3-Switch Wall Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net