Discuss Wiring a light with a loop help! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Luke Davis

There are 3 grey cable out of the celing, two contins a live, nutral and earth and the other an earth red and black.
The light only has a live, netural and earth so how should this be wired?
Without this wired together the upstairs part of the extention has no light so I guess theres a loop...

I tried Uniting the earth cables together, these being the green and green/yellow.
Uniting the live cables together, these being red and brown.
Uniting the neutral cables together, these being black and blue.
When I flick on the electric switch at the mains box it sparked and flicked off to which I had to change the light switch as well as it stuck on off? please help!

Photo at:
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l516/ludavis1712/IMG00035-20110531-2153.jpg

that's because one of the cables is a switch wire. the black is a switched live. isolate, split cables, meter on ohms. the red/black which goes to zero ohms when you flick the switch is the switch wire, you then have 3 reds into the centre terminal, the switch wire black into the lamp brown. the 2 remaining blacks into the lamp blue. the switch wire black should be sleeved red.

sorry, just looke at the pic. seems you have the new colours as well. open the switch if it has red/black, that's the switch wire at the fitting. as my last post but substitute brown for red and blue for black.

please please dont keep messing about..! try the above method and if it does not work consider ringing a local spark and for £25 will have it sorted in no time and with out it been dangerous!

Reply to Wiring a light with a loop help! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net