Discuss Wiring a push to break switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi.
I have a cupboard light with a one way switch.
I want to put in a 2 amp push to break switch.
Can someone explain the wiring please.
Thanks.

View attachment 39532

It’s simple 2 wires

When the actuator is out, the switch is on..

Put a live supply on one side of the switch and switch wire to light on the other side. Join neutrals and cpcs in suitable connectors enclosed inside a box if applicable.

Make or break switch when the plunger is out it makes when its in it breaks you just wire it up like a normal light switch I have one for my coal cellar/basement.

IMG_1860.jpg

If it is rated 2 amps is it safe to just put the 6 amp cables in
It’s simple 2 wires

When the actuator is out, the switch is on..

Put a live supply on one side of the switch and switch wire to light on the other side. Join neutrals and cpcs in suitable connectors enclosed inside a box if applicable.
So it doesn't matter that a 6 amp cable is going straight into a 2 amp unit?

You have to determine the load the switch will be breaking.
Divide the combined Wattage of the lights the switch will be controlling by 230V to determine the load in Amps.
One 60W lamp divided by 230V = a little over a quarter of an Amp 0.26A.

Reply to Wiring a push to break switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Hopefully just a quick one, but I can't seem to find a definite answer. Will a push to break/make (ie not momentary) 2 way retractive...
Replies
Views
I bought this house a couple months ago. It was built in 1952 (same as me) but has been rewired with yellow 12 awg Romex dated 2007. Looks like a...
Replies
Views
First, sorry if I'm not in the correxct thread. I'm trying to replace an old switch with a WIFI switch and cannot seem to do it right. There are...
Replies
Views
can anyone please advise on where the wires go? My electrician installed a new cable ready for when I bought a security light. The cable as shown...
Replies
Views
Strange on this, we are wiring an extension at the moment and I would like to 3 way the (currently 2 way) landing switch to the new bedroom so...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock