Discuss Wiring a remote light switch to a wall switch advice. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

buabba

Hello everyone

I am new to this forum and will like some advice in installing a remote switch to a standard one gang wall switch. I cannot seem to get it to work and is getting a bit uneasy about trial and error. I have attached 2 pictures.

I have tried to insert the red wires in the in and out but it did not seem to work. DOes this switch behave like a electrical plug and I need to activate the black and green/yellow wires?
Thanks for yelectric 1.jpgour help! electric 2.jpg

you need to put the live feed in L in, the neutrals ( black ) which are joined into N in and it looks as though from your pic that there are 2 live outputs for 2 separate lights. use one of them for your switched live

Cheers telectrix

So it is

N-IN : both Black wires
L-IN : single Red
OUT-A : single Red

What does the yellow and green ones do?

exactly. leave the green/yellow as they are. they are earths and must be together for the light fitting to be earthed, but the switch does not need them. as jason says, you have to determine which red is which. the one that makes you jump is L IN

better still, use a neon screwdriver to see which is the feed.

no way intermediate. it's an electronic switch needs L/N feedto power it. the original switch has been put in line with the feed to the light so one red is Phase in and the other Phase out. Neutrals JB'd together.

sorry Jeremy, thought you meant the new switch. looked at pic of existing switch and it does look like it. could it be that it's a 2 pole switch and buabba has put the reds in the wrong holes after trying the remote switch?

Op states wiring to a switch so thought that the remote switch was, well, remote. But a bit confused why you would want to switch a switch? Sort of need full details. Ps if you're going to crimp use the right size crimps and use both ends or you've got an open end, just a tip!

The remote is like a TV remote withthe sensor on the wall. I am using this device as the light switch is inconvienently hidden behind a door. electric 3.jpg

as i see it, he wants to replace the existing rocker switch with the remote one so he can watch TV with the lights on or off without getting up. wish someone would invent a remote beer fetcher. OH, just realised, iv'e got one. it's called her indoors

Well at least 'her indoors' do not need so much wiring? or does she? I want a remote to clean, iron and cook dinner too. :p

I will try to wire the thing up later. Thank you for all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
mine cooks, cleans irons, works a 100 hour week as well. wouldn't swap her for the world, but might consider a megger 1553

another thing mate, how have you crimped the earths and neutrals together? i doesnt look like you have use the correct tool, and over time they could become loose and cause you no end of problems, the worst being that they could start a fire (neutrals). Also its bad practice to double up in crimps like that, put a cable in each end, and use the right size. Red is for upto 1.5mm2, blue is from 1.5mm2 upto 2.5mm2 and yellow is 4mm2 to 6mm2.

Well to be honest I am not very sure. But I know the current light switch has the reds passing through to provide power. The black and yellow/green ar enot used. I am located in UK, so does that help with any of the colour coding? The wiring was already there when I moved in.

god, this is getting too confusing.

1. identify the "live " red with a neon driver ( power on ) . if you not got one, £1.50 from any DIY store.
2. Turn off power, put said live in LIN.
3 Remove crimp fro blacks and pu both in NIN
4 Make sure earths ( green/yellow) are joined together and not to anything else.
5. Put the other red in either of the other terminals.
6. Switch on power. it will work. Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Reply to Wiring a remote light switch to a wall switch advice. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net