Discuss Wiring a single ballast in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

NOTTNICK

DIY
Reaction score
I am wanting to wire in a new single ballast. Unfortunately (as you will see from the photo) the old broken ballast does not have the contacts exposed. There are two pairs of wires (one pair for each end of the light tube) but I have no idea which of the numbered contacts (1,2,3,4) to use for which wire.
Can anyone advise please.
Thanks

Attachments

• Wiring a single ballast IMG_4455 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_4455.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Wiring a single ballast IMG_4456 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_4456.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 34
Wire it as per the drawing on the choke, it doesn't mater which end of the tube is which and for each pair, they can be connected either way round.

As above, also make note of the instruction on the new ballast about keeping the wires going to terminals 1 and 2 as short as practical, this is to reduce radio interference.

Lin 1
N in 2
N out 3
Lout 4 .

Ok, thanks for this. Still slightly unsure. I have 2 pairs of wires to connect. (each pair to a different end of the tube)
From what you say, one pair goes to 1 /4
the other 2 / 3 ?
Does it matter which way round they are? Can it be 4/1 as well as 1/4 ?
The wires are hardwired into the old ballast (see photo) and I have no idea which contact is which.

Attachments

• Wiring a single ballast IMG_4471 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_4471.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 21
Ok, thanks for this. Still slightly unsure. I have 2 pairs of wires to connect. (each pair to a different end of the tube)
From what you say, one pair goes to 1 /4
the other 2 / 3 ?
Does it matter which way round they are? Can it be 4/1 as well as 1/4 ?
The wires are hardwired into the old ballast (see photo) and I have no idea which contact is which.
if in doubt get a spark in to sort it out .

Cobblers.. . Rubbish
[automerge]1578758480[/automerge]
1 & 2 to 1 end of the tube. 3 & 4 to other end, not polarity conscious.
OK I am feeling really foolish now. Wires trimmed and ready, but I cannot for the life of me understand how to engage them in the connectors.
I have tried pushing them in, then pressing down on the small tab, but it doesn't seem to hold it. Also it tells me to trim 8 - 9 mm on the casing but this length doesn't seem to push in. I am sure it is obvious and intuitive. Can't find any help on-line.
Thanks
[automerge]1578761672[/automerge]
Cobblers.. . Rubbish
Doh! I have worked it out. I knew it would be intuitive. I push first.
[automerge]1578762203[/automerge]
Cobblers.. . Rubbish
All working - Thanks so much for this advice. I knew it had to be straightforward. Of course in the end it took less than 5 minutes to complete the job. :)

Last edited:

Reply to Wiring a single ballast in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock