Discuss Wiring a socket to an external switch then spurring to a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

iamchunx

I have an electrical socket in the kitchen which feeds around 10 powerful garden lights around the garden all installed by a qualified electrician.

I want to change the cable from that kitchen socket feeding it to a double external light switch first which would then either switch on the garden lights or switch on a socket in my kids playhouse, or both. Both the lights and socket are on single spurs. Saves me plugging in something every time I want the lights on.

There is no earth to the garden lights, should I do one to the socket in the playhouse.

In the double light switch the live is on/off for both spurs but nothing for earth or neutral, shall I just wire them up straight and control everything from the live?

Is this going to be dangerous?

Thanks for any advice

Warren

Yep get a Sparky in before someone gets hurt

posts 2 and 3 tell you all.

There is no earth to the garden lights, should I do one to the socket in the playhouse.

I have to ask.... Are you being serious..... You do know that electricity can kill people...
I would strongly recommend you get an electrician in to do this job.

Look mate no disrespect intended at all but you have had good advice posts 2,3,4 and 5 ffs get someone in who knows what they are doing, an Electrician would be my guess

surely a plumber with that defined scope nbiceic sticker could do it right. oops, forgot his knowledge of earth leakage is when a sewer pipe cracks.

That's probably the next best thing to a Spark, oohh sorry wtf am I on about:iamwithstupid::waving:

Thanks for the advice people. Kind of knew it will need to be checked by a spark.

I think I've wired it right but have arranged for a spark to check for me (before switching on!).

This has to be a wind-up...

Obviously the OP has already made the alterations, he's also talking about a kids playhouse FFS!!

As the old saying goes, ''you can't educate pork''!!!

Obviously the OP has already made the alterations, he's also talking about a kids playhouse FFS!!

As the old saying goes, ''you can't educate pork''!!!

Thats why I think its a wind-up. You would have to be a real thicko to stick sockets into your kids playhouse when you dont have a clue to what you are doing.

Last edited:
Apologies for not stressing that I know what I am doing.

I wired my whole house and had an electrician certificate the installation.

Domestic wiring aint rocket science as long as you buy the right kit, take your time and do it right.

Just asking for advice, that's all.

Wanted to provide two switches, one to activate the garden lights, one to activate a playhouse socket. All from a single power source. Perhaps my descriptions weren't technical enough.

Hope I can come back here again one day for advice.

and no i haven't made the alterations as yet, that would be foolish.

Please read my post 5. It seems that you don't know what you are doing.
If you have "wired my whole house and had an electrician certificate the installation" then this should be simple.

Better still, get the electrician that certificate your installation to advise you. He has seen the install and knows the layout.

Never used outside switches before that's all. And I am worried that the outside lights aren't earthed. An electrician put them in years ago.
Anyway a spark is coming over to check for me.

You really should get an electrician to look at this, if you do not understand what you are doing do not touch it. Only the other day I went to a house where the bloke had changed the immersion element and switch and when I got there I got 230v between the metal tank and earth.

According to the OP, he does know what he is doing as "I wired my whole house and had an electrician certificate the installation"... He just wants to put electricity to his kids playhouse but is wondering if he should stick an earth to the socket (and a few other things) ............. What can I say...

Im hoping that he actually does what he says in his posts 17 & 18.

Reply to Wiring a socket to an external switch then spurring to a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net