Discuss Wiring a switch in a light circuit in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Kuba

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope someone here can shed some light on this for me please,

Wiring a switch in a light circuit {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I have come across two forms of wiring 2 way switches. I understand the basics behind these, first one with live coming from the light and switched live going back, second using same rule but in com instead of l1 and l2 (strappers in same position).
I guess the question is which one to choose in what circumstances?
Is it based on the location of the switch/light - using least amount of cable when possible or,
Depending on light if it's 3 plate or 2 plate?
I would like to understand it from someone's point of view who's in the trade.

Also, is this correct that in case of 2 plate light wiring you have to bring a t&e to a switch and terminate neutral there?

Finally, last question -

If this was wired in the other form with live going to com from the supply and switched live going from the last com back to the light, you wouldn't have to use a strapper between two coms because that would make it permanent live?

Thanks for help!

Yes it does depend on which uses the least cable a lot of the time. Like you said you can 3 plate the light or the switch, personally I often prefer to do it at the switch as it's easier to terminate there and if you have a light fitting to put up later it's a lot easier with l,n & e there than 3 plate. You might get someone tell you that 3 plating at the switch is not the way to do it but that's tosh in my opinion so long as you have enough room to terminate at the switch, nothing is squashed and it's all neat then it's just as good. In regard to your understanding of switching all I can say is draw them out and you should be able to suss out any arrangement I had a little pocket book when I was an apprentice and if I ever got stuck I would either refer to it or draw it out. Everyone learns in their own way but once you have it straight in your head it's like riding a bike

Hi everyone, I hope someone here can shed some light on this for me please,

I have come across two forms of wiring 2 way switches. I understand the basics behind these, first one with live coming from the light and switched live going back, second using same rule but in com instead of l1 and l2 (strappers in same position).
I guess the question is which one to choose in what circumstances?
Is it based on the location of the switch/light - using least amount of cable when possible or,
Depending on light if it's 3 plate or 2 plate?
I would like to understand it from someone's point of view who's in the trade.

Also, is this correct that in case of 2 plate light wiring you have to bring a t&e to a switch and terminate neutral there?

Finally, last question -

If this was wired in the other form with live going to com from the supply and switched live going from the last com back to the light, you wouldn't have to use a strapper between two coms because that would make it permanent live?

Thanks for help!
3 core and earth best way avoiding the possibility of a borrowed neutral

I always take my feed to my switches. Take a 3c&e between switches for strappers and neutral, then take sw upto light from 2nd switch.
Like what’s been said, each to their own.
Personally I built a full test rig at home and turned theory into practice on it.

Reply to Wiring a switch in a light circuit in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock