Discuss Wiring Advice for Garage RCD Needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

Frankie79

Hi all,

I am looking to replace a very old and rusty RCD unit with a modern day unit. The old unit is different to the new one and I would like to be 100% sure i have the wiring correct. The situation i need explained is this:

1. I have the mains coming into the unit
2. I have a 2 way socket which needs to connected.

I have attached a picture of the unit with some crude lines on it. To clarify the picture what i have is the following.

1. The mains live (red line at the bottom) connects to the bottom next the the Neutral
2. The mains neutral and earth go up the the bars at the top
3. The 4 way copper bar bridges the neutrals across the top. (Blue)
4. The 2 way socket mains live (red line coming in from the right) connects to the 32A unit
5. The 2 way socket neutral and earth connect to their respective bars at the top.

Can someone tell me if this is correct? As i said all i am doing is replacing the old unit as it was way past it's useable life.

Thanks,

Frank

Attachments

• Wiring Advice for Garage RCD Needed New RCD Wirin - EletriciansForums.net
    New RCD Wiring.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 140
Before going any further, do you hold any electrical qualifications?

Not to put the dampers on your enthusiasm but your wiring method is not only wrong but dangerous. At least you've taken the time to ask rather than wading straight in.

There's a lot more to this than just slapping it on the wall and connecting up, there's testing and certification that needs to be completed to ensure that your installation is fault free and more importantly safe.

Please get a qualified spark in to do your work, also this is notifiable to building control.

I know why those lines are so crud, it's because you were in fits of laughter whilst posting this hilarious thread!

Pack it in will you and jog on back to whatever other forum you usually frequent! lol

Tell you what, wire it up that way and post back what happens ;) You don't suffer with a heart condition do you?

PS remember you will need the correct PPE:thumbsup

If this is a serious question then a serious answer is you only have one route correct.

Please ignore my posts if this is genuine and post up your location. You definitely need assistance here and I am sure a member close to you would be more than happy to pop around and take care of this for you:thumbsup

Awesome thanks for the advice. Once it was cabled up i was going to have a sparky test it. If no-one on this forum is going to give me the advice I need then I will obtain it elsewhere. Rest assured i wont be cabling it up until I am 100% sure it's correct.
1shortcct, i dont usually sit on forums as i generally have much better things to do with my time.
APelectrical - your right...your bad.

Thanks Again!

Awesome thanks for the advice. Once it was cabled up i was going to have a sparky test it. If no-one on this forum is going to give me the advice I need then I will obtain it elsewhere. Rest assured i wont be cabling it up until I am 100% sure it's correct.
1shortcct, i dont usually sit on forums as i generally have much better things to do with my time.

Thanks Again!

Wouldn't bother cabling it at all - just leave half a metre of cable for the spark to put them in the right holes.

Thanks Again!

So have we established that this is a genuine post?

If so, I apologise. We often get such questions asked only to find out that a trades person from another forum is a little bored and wants to gain the wrong sort of attention from the Sparks.

Feel free to obtain your information elsewhere because nobody here is going to post out the information.

There are so many things wrong with that picture and so many things that "Could" be wrong further back towards the house. Whilst people think that it's only a few wires there is actually a lot more to it. Not to mention that what you are trying to do is notifiable to the local authority building control - BY LAW!

yet another wannabe .....go ahead...and if it fires and/or you get stray voltages as a result of incompetance....hard lines fella.....look, do yoursen a favour here Frankie....get a sparks in to do it will you....plenty in here ....sure some of em are not far from you......

Frank,
If you connect it up as you have described in your diagram there is a possibility that you will get a rather larger flash/bang ! since you are placing live and neutral directly across one coil of the RCD which will most likely render it useless.

This is going to be a costly experiment for you - so don't, whatever you do, make those connections.

Now I am not going to tell you how to do it since my professional indemnity is unlikely to cover me, but I would strongly recommend that you get someone who does know how (experienced electrician) to do it for you.

thanks plugsandsparks, I have a couple of (qualified) friends I can speak to who will do it for me, just wanted to get it done tomorrow morning as opposed to later this week. I (incorrectly) thought I could come onto a forum for advice instead of abuse from some of the other posters.

Thanks.

thanks plugsandsparks, I have a couple of (qualified) friends I can speak to who will do it for me, just wanted to get it done tomorrow morning as opposed to later this week. I (incorrectly) thought I could come onto a forum for advice instead of abuse from some of the other posters.

Thanks.

I think you need to take a sit down and have a word with yourself here.

Electricity kills and what you have shown us is a potentially lethal situation so with that in mind you deserve the abuse!

Had you have had just one cable incorrect then you may have, very possibly depending on the mood of the poster had a heads up as to where you have gone wrong.

I apologised since realising that this was genuine but I'm sorry I'm going to have to leave this thread now before I start to cry into my cornflakes :D

On a serious note PLEASE do not f888ing kill yourself, pack your tools away and WAIT for your friends:thumbsup

Reply to Wiring Advice for Garage RCD Needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock