Discuss Wiring Aerials, BT/Internet and Alarms! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jjrules2

Hi,

I am a newly qualified electrician and I have just wired a 5 bedroom house. The clients had originally booked someone else to run the alarm cable (from the spur I installed), the BT outlets and the aerial coaxials. This has now changed and I have been asked to quote to additionally do this as well.

How easy is this? How does each system work in terms of running the cables? Do they need to be in the wall in conduit like the other cables? How separated do they need to be from the power cables as well to not get interference?

Thanks

cables need to be installed at least 6" away from mains if running parallel. not in same trunking as mains cabling unless segregated.

OK. That sounds very difficult considering there was limited room under the stairs getting from downstairs to upstairs!

So all of these need to be chased in?

chased in, mini-trunking, whatever you find easiest. if space is limited, you can go a lot closer for a short run, but keep segregated. under stairs, i would use mini trunking for alarm cables.

sometimes you cant help but mix data and mains cables together !

short distances wont cause a problem.

iv never had any issues.

worth learning the trade mate, at work we offer a complete electrical service for when people renovate their houses.

cat5/ cat6 structured data cabling/ phones / door entry / TV's, alarm systems, CCTV etc..

cant be giving away work to other trades now ! lol

For the aerials best bet is to run a coax cable (ct100 or equiv). From each location a point is required to the loft or convenient location, It might be wise to run two cable to main lounge. No point putting any cables in for Sky as they tend to ignore them. You will also need power for the distribution amp. Telephones can be done as a radial from the main point.

sometimes you cant help but mix data and mains cables together !

short distances wont cause a problem.

iv never had any issues.

worth learning the trade mate, at work we offer a complete electrical service for when people renovate their houses.

cat5/ cat6 structured data cabling/ phones / door entry / TV's, alarm systems, CCTV etc..

cant be giving away work to other trades now ! lol

Please tell me you're segregating them in some way. Cos this post seems to say 'lob them all in the same bit of conduit and take the money'.
That aside, this post is right, as a sparks you will be expected to do this sort of wiring, and I'm suprised you haven't come across it in the past, which also makes me question where you're 'newly qualified' from.

Hmm thanks. This is sounding like to much aggravation to me!

May be what you need to do is post your location and possibly team up with someone on here and do the job and get some experience / mentoring from someone who has the knowledge to do this work

Telephones can be done as a radial from the main point.

If you have more than 2 points / cables you will not be able to punch down the cables on the NTE5 krone terminals are not designed for more than 2 cables

Reply to Wiring Aerials, BT/Internet and Alarms! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net