Discuss Wiring and Kitchen alterations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Going to a job where they are having a kitchen rip out and new one installed, the upstairs has just been tiled and finished so any works to happen under the boards are a no go, what are people’s thoughts on through crimping for socket movements and chasing down to just below worktop level. Also any other kitchen wiring/alteration tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers folks!

Hi guys,

Going to a job where they are having a kitchen rip out and new one installed, the upstairs has just been tiled and finished so any works to happen under the boards are a no go, what are people’s thoughts on through crimping for socket movements and chasing down to just below worktop level. Also any other kitchen wiring/alteration tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers folks!
Not a fan of through joints to be honest, I know it's done but personally I don't like it.
Not to sure by what you mean by chasing down to below the worktop level, if you mean moving a socket outlet, then providing everything else is flush then it should be a simple job, can you not spur down, rather than crimping a joint? ughh

Thanks for the reply Pete!, just struggling as to other ways as some of the sockets will be redundant and blank plates will look horrendous so need to lose a couple legs here and there :)

Thanks for the reply Pete!, just struggling as to other ways as some of the sockets will be redundant and blank plates will look horrendous so need to lose a couple legs here and there :)

Take out the leg back to the previous point .. And run a new leg to the new point....

joints could be made and horizontal runs within 150mm of the ceiling.

I’ve never understood that zone because nobody outside of the electrical trade knows about it, and it puts cables in the perfect place to get hit by nails when coving is fitted.

You NAIL coving?
Bugger me, I've been doing it wrong all these years. Better go rip down all that stuff that's been up for 30+ years and do it with nails.
Damnit damnit damnit... and I wanted the weekend off. :(

You NAIL coving?
Bugger me, I've been doing it wrong all these years. Better go rip down all that stuff that's been up for 30+ years and do it with nails.
Damnit damnit damnit... and I wanted the weekend off. :(

I don’t fit coving at all, I’m an electrician.
However the plasters at the building company where I used to work used nails into the wall to hold the coving in place whilst the adhesive was setting.

And one of those guys was over 70 when he retired so I reckon he’d been doing it quite a long time too.

I agree . I had a mate who fitted plaster coving for a living also plaster dado rails ect , all were nailed and punched , then filled . It stops them sliding.

I like the 150mm horizontal zone. Generally try and keep any cables within the upper 50mm though.
Re the OP. Can you not find each of the ring (if it is a ring) and extend down from each of these to supply whatever sockets etc as required. I reckon that would be a better solution to through crimping numerous sockets etc.

Shame the OP hasn't been back and updated us ..... I do hope hes not planning on crimping cables and plastering over them ........... outside of the safe zones.

Reply to Wiring and Kitchen alterations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net