Discuss Wiring at the switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

ABerry82

hi, can someone please remind me how to wire at the switch. i will have 1 wire coming from the CU to a 2G switch then off each switch i will be linking 2 lights. i havent been onsite for about a year and i just cant remember how to wire a light at the switch please help

Are you sure you have ever been on site with a question like that. Basics like that cannot be forgotten. I believe B and Q have some helpful staff who could point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
hi, can someone please remind me how to wire at the switch. i will have 1 wire coming from the CU to a 2G switch then off each switch i will be linking 2 lights. i havent been onsite for about a year and i just cant remember how to wire a light at the switch please help

Neutrals together switched lives out, live in linked to both commons. Are you sure you should be attempting this?? Basic stuff really, although there are those who will tell you it shouldn't be done like this (very long thread just recently).

as above. if you don't know the answer to a simple question like that, you should'nt be working on it. end of.

i had it all drawn in front of me i just wanted confirmation as it just didnt look right
Just read another of your posts "how qualified am I" well judging by this question you could have every qual available but you are clearly not competent. It is not all about bits of paper you need experience.

Just read another of your posts "how qualified am I" well judging by this question you could have every qual available but you are clearly not competent. It is not all about bits of paper you need experience.
i have the quals and 2 years onsite experience so i will admit i am still learning really. i am quite confident with the work i do tho. 1 of the companies i worked for never showed me wiring at the switch and the other i only done it a few times as normally we had the main power at the ceiling rose not the switch

Last edited by a moderator:
draw it out then. incoming L to common sw1. pair of strappers from L1 and L2 sw1 to L1 and L2 sw2, then from sw2 common to light. neutral direct from CU to light.

I don't think it's even 2w tele.
Even with the experience you've had surely you could work it out....
If in doubt draw it.

i have the quals and 2 years onsite experience
Thats ok then. Conecting a switch should be a doddle then. In saying that the two years you have done should have explained to you the things that can go wrong, take the digs with a pinch of salt but it truely is for yours and others safety.
We are professionals who have seen things go wrong and are willing to help when people want answers but we have limits if we feel you are not up to it. Please don't think a forum is an open university course.

i have the quals and 2 years onsite experience so i will admit i am still learning really. i am quite confident with the work i do tho. 1 of the companies i worked for never showed me wiring at the switch and the other i only done it a few times as normally we had the main power at the ceiling rose not the switch

2 years on site and qualifications? I,m sorry friend, but if you don't understand such basic wiring after the experience indicated, there's not much hope. Use your head and work it out.

2 years on site and qualifications? I,m sorry friend, but if you don't understand such basic wiring after the experience indicated, there's not much hope. Use your head and work it out.

i know i did feel stupid to ask because when i drew it on paper it seemed too simple so i just questioned myself and asked for an opinnion

thanks to all now it has been cleared up now does anyone know anything about hydrobox heating systems

Reply to Wiring at the switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock