Discuss Wiring connections required for outdoor PIR light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Pentium150

Hi all. First post here and I hope someone can help me out please.
My existing outdoor PIR light died and I have a new one to fit in its place.
The old one not only worked automatically on PIR mode but the 2 way switch which controlled it could be left in either 'auto' mode for PIR or switched ON so the lamp stayed ON all the time.
This is how I want the new lamp to work so bought one with the 'manual' ON facility.

However when fitted it only works in the auto mode and not in the permanently ON mode when I flick the switch.

Can someone please confirm which connections I should be joining the 4 cables coming out of the wall?

From the wall I have the following;

1) Grey
2) Brown
3) Black
4) Yellow/Green

Confusingly on the Lamp there are only 3 connections;

1) Neutral
2) Live
3) Earth

Other forums and sites I've looked at go on about only 3 cables coming out of the wall and I'm at a loss as to where the grey,brown and black should go to make the lamp work as advertised.

Appreciate any help - thankyou.

Sound like the old pir system had 4 terminals, earth, neutral, live to pir and live to lamp. The new one doesn't appear to have a live to lamp connections. Also the original installer may not have used standard wiring to wire the old unit. It would be safest to ask a proper electrician to fix the problem. This should be a pretty quick job.

echo above ^^^/.

4 Connections at PIR Lamp, 4 cables to it

echo above ^^^/.

Thanks for that telectrix, I'll bare it in mind.

I've got hold of a 4 terminal PIR outdoor light now so things should be more straight forward!

The terminals on this one are as follows;

1) 2 White cables - 1 goes to PIR, 1 goes to lamp
2) Brown - goes to PIR
3) Yell/Grn - goes to lamp
4) 1 Blue, 1 White - Blue goes to PIR, White to lamp

So, going back to the 4 cables coming from the wall ( Grey, Brown, Yell/Grn, Black) can anyone help on where to connect the Grey and the Black cables (1 and 4)?

FROM WALL;

1) Grey (Neutral)
2) Brown (Live permanent)
3) Yell/Grn (Earth)
4) Black (Live switched)

AT PIR LIGHT;

1) White/white (to PIR and lamp)
2) Brown (to PIR)
3) Yell/Grn (to lamp
4) White/Blue (white to lamp, blue to PIR)

Any helpful indications would be appreciated.

Happy early Xmas to all.

Thanks for that telectrix, I'll bare it in mind.

I've got hold of a 4 terminal PIR outdoor light now so things should be more straight forward!

The terminals on this one are as follows;

1) 2 White cables - 1 goes to PIR, 1 goes to lamp
2) Brown - goes to PIR
3) Yell/Grn - goes to lamp
4) 1 Blue, 1 White - Blue goes to PIR, White to lamp

So, going back to the 4 cables coming from the wall ( Grey, Brown, Yell/Grn, Black) can anyone help on where to connect the Grey and the Black cables (1 and 4)?

FROM WALL;

1) Grey (Neutral)
2) Brown (Live permanent)
3) Yell/Grn (Earth)
4) Black (Live switched)

AT PIR LIGHT;

1) White/white (to PIR and lamp)Live switched(should be black sleeved brown)
2) Brown (to PIR)Live permanant
3) Yell/Grn (to lampEarth
4) White/Blue (white to lamp, blue to PIR)Neutral. (should be grey sleeved blue)

Any helpful indications would be appreciated.

Happy early Xmas to all.

Based on the info you have provided. ^^^

It is your responsibility however to connect the fitting safely and correctly.It is also your responsibilty to test that the existing wiring is suitable and earthing is adequate.Electricity kills.If you are unable to do the above ask an electrician to fit the light for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old PIR sounds like a Steinel type (2 way switch, L1 is auto, L2 is on)

Most PIRs do auto and off, always on is usually on and off within 2 seconds.

Reply to Wiring connections required for outdoor PIR light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net