Discuss Wiring External lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SS88NI

DIY
Reaction score
Planning a decking project for the rear garden, looking to install 2 bulkhead lights on the fence adjacent to the decking and LED lights around the base.

My plan was to install and external socket which will connect to the mains via a 3 plug pin, is it suitable for the External socket to power LED decking light via 1 3 pin plug and the 2 bulkhead lights to another 3pin plug? or am i overloading?

I also have a External light with PIR, if needs be i could remove this and install the bulkhead light via this connection?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Wiring External lights Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 15.39.09 - EletriciansForums.netWiring External lights Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 15.39.55 - EletriciansForums.netWiring External lights Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 15.40.25 - EletriciansForums.net

I don't know the rules for NI but it might be that adding an external socket, etc, would require certification and local authority notification. Other on this forum will know much better than me.

In terms of power you will not be anywhere near the limit for a 13A socket, but for anything outdoors you have to consider both water (and insects, etc) getting in and the effects of UV light on some types of cable causing them to degrade. Also anything that is within touching height outside has the additional safety hazard of faults potentially causing a fatal electric shock due to someone also being conductive to the true ground.

You might already have the 13A circuits protected by an RCD in which case that is OK, but you really need to check.

Recently light circuits would be RCD protected as well, but many older installation are not, so if you have any plans to power this from an existing PIR light cable (which may be very convenient as the cable is already accessible outdoors) you need to check what sort of circuit (and any RCD protection) is used for it.

If none of the above made sense than get in a professional!

If you can plug an external socket into an indoor socket then that's a very simple way of doing it and perfectly adequate. Make absolutely sure the indoor socket you are coming from is protected by a 30ma RCD in the DB/CU.

This is definitely the quickest and easiest solution if it is possible!

If you need the sockets to be outside due to cable lengths, etc, then the twin 13A type you show is ideal to make a "fixed" extension cable.

Just make sure you get a suitable gland for the cable to seal it where it enters the external socket box, and better if you can fit on the bottom as any imperfections in the seal are unlikely to let water in. To use it at the 13A capability (in case you ever plan on using it for power tools, lawnmower, etc) you should get something like 3-core 1.5mm cable.

Some of those "sealed" sockets have points in the backing box where you are supposed to create a hole to let any water out (e.g. condensation, etc). Should be clear from the instructions.

If you don't have RCD protection for your property then you can get RCD adaptors (or even wire-on plugs) which would also be a simple way to make a safe external power outlet.

However, one disadvantage of many RCD adaptors is they have a "no volt" release, so have to be turned on after any power failure. This is deliberate so power tools don't come to life unexpectedly if the supply fails and is restored with the tool still switched on!

Yep. Ain't it good to see a bit of common sense from a DIYer.
Well done SS.
…...don't forget the RCD, though.
Yes, property I fitted with RCD protection
[automerge]1585253366[/automerge]
This is definitely the quickest and easiest solution if it is possible!

If you need the sockets to be outside due to cable lengths, etc, then the twin 13A type you show is ideal to make a "fixed" extension cable.

Just make sure you get a suitable gland for the cable to seal it where it enters the external socket box, and better if you can fit on the bottom as any imperfections in the seal are unlikely to let water in. To use it at the 13A capability (in case you ever plan on using it for power tools, lawnmower, etc) you should get something like 3-core 1.5mm cable.

Some of those "sealed" sockets have points in the backing box where you are supposed to create a hole to let any water out (e.g. condensation, etc). Should be clear from the instructions.

If you don't have RCD protection for your property then you can get RCD adaptors (or even wire-on plugs) which would also be a simple way to make a safe external power outlet.

However, one disadvantage of many RCD adaptors is they have a "no volt" release, so have to be turned on after any power failure. This is deliberate so power tools don't come to life unexpectedly if the supply fails and is restored with the tool still switched on!
Thanks for the reply, I’ll go with
3-core 1.5mm cable, the internal socket will be coming high level from my bedroom, hole already drilled for old sky cable which will be removed, I assume I’ll not need armoured cable as not underground.

Armoured wire (SWA) is great but probably overkill for your application. Strictly speaking you should get wire that is rated for outdoor use (i.e. UV hardened) but often that is not flexible (so difficult to use with a 13A plug, but OK for a fused switch outlet) and/or only available in big reels.

Some examples are:
  • Tuf-sheath cable (such as "NYYJ3C1.5") which looks like normal 3-core but harder cover and single-core, so unsuited to repeated bending, available by the meter from CEF.
  • Silicone Rubber sheathed cable, typically for high temperature use (e.g., boiler or immersion heater, etc). Easy to flex and surprisingly resistant to most things. RS sell it on 25m reels for £60 but out of stock which I just looked (e.g. path number 744-0981 or 744-0985)
  • Flexishield cable to BS 8436 (a bit like armoured, but aluminium foil instead of steel wires), designed to be safe if penetrated by a nail, etc, but also UV tolerant. CEF sell it by 100m drum only at around £110
  • H07RN-F flexible cable "recommended in dry , damp or wet workshops, indoor and outdoor, for example in explosive atmosphere ( as ATEX) according to regulation of the country and with some additional recommendations and also for industrial devices and agricultures workshops"
I think the rubber flex type "HO7RNF3C1.5" is suitable for outdoor use and possibly your best choice if using a 13A plug, etc. Also it is available by the meter from suppliers such as Superlec and CEF, etc.

I don't know the rules for NI but it might be that adding an external socket, etc, would require certification and local authority notification. Other on this forum will know much better than me.

In terms of power you will not be anywhere near the limit for a 13A socket, but for anything outdoors you have to consider both water (and insects, etc) getting in and the effects of UV light on some types of cable causing them to degrade. Also anything that is within touching height outside has the additional safety hazard of faults potentially causing a fatal electric shock due to someone also being conductive to the true ground.

You might already have the 13A circuits protected by an RCD in which case that is OK, but you really need to check.

Recently light circuits would be RCD protected as well, but many older installation are not, so if you have any plans to power this from an existing PIR light cable (which may be very convenient as the cable is already accessible outdoors) you need to check what sort of circuit (and any RCD protection) is used for it.

If none of the above made sense than get in a professional!
Rules for the north are exact same as mainland except no part P whatsoever so no notification etc required. No differences apart from that

Armoured wire (SWA) is great but probably overkill for your application. Strictly speaking you should get wire that is rated for outdoor use (i.e. UV hardened) but often that is not flexible (so difficult to use with a 13A plug, but OK for a fused switch outlet) and/or only available in big reels.

Some examples are:
  • Tuf-sheath cable (such as "NYYJ3C1.5") which looks like normal 3-core but harder cover and single-core, so unsuited to repeated bending, available by the meter from CEF.
  • Silicone Rubber sheathed cable, typically for high temperature use (e.g., boiler or immersion heater, etc). Easy to flex and surprisingly resistant to most things. RS sell it on 25m reels for £60 but out of stock which I just looked (e.g. path number 744-0981 or 744-0985)
  • Flexishield cable to BS 8436 (a bit like armoured, but aluminium foil instead of steel wires), designed to be safe if penetrated by a nail, etc, but also UV tolerant. CEF sell it by 100m drum only at around £110
  • H07RN-F flexible cable "recommended in dry , damp or wet workshops, indoor and outdoor, for example in explosive atmosphere ( as ATEX) according to regulation of the country and with some additional recommendations and also for industrial devices and agricultures workshops"
I think the rubber flex type "HO7RNF3C1.5" is suitable for outdoor use and possibly your best choice if using a 13A plug, etc. Also it is available by the meter from suppliers such as Superlec and CEF, etc.
Thanks for the reply and taking the time to recommend products!!

2nd vote for HO7RHf. esy to use and souitable for environment.

Some examples are:

Will HO7RNF3C1.5 also be my best choice for wiring the bulkhead lights?

What is the best way to wire the bulkhead lights series or parallel?

wire in parallel. series would give you 240/X volts per light. where X =no.of lights.
do you know the difference?

wire in parallel. series would give you 240/X volts per light. where X =no.of lights.
do you know the difference?

Yes in Series i would get 120v per light,

Whereas in parallel i will get a full power to both lights.

What do i need to enable me to do this, a junction Box?

If you are only having a 13A fuse in the plug then you should be using something like HO7RNF3C1.5 all the way so it can handle any fault current, also it might be simpler for ordering and neater to make it all the same.

How you connect and if you need a junction box would depend on the physical details of the lights, etc, and how you plan on laying them out. The dual 13A socket probably has multiple knock-out holes so you can easily wire in to one hole (with a suitable gland) and then daisy-chain out another hole to the lights if you go that way.

It is not clear from the picture of the lights if you could get two cables in to the back of them, or if the internal terminals will take 2 * 1.5mm wire. I guess you would need to buy some to check that sort of detail out.

If you do go for a junction box then make sure it is rated at IP65 or higher, and get suitable glands for it. Again, for all of the outdoor stuff try to have cables come in from below, or sides if you must, but not the top as its an easy way for water to get in.
[automerge]1585323341[/automerge]
Wago do an IP65 box, but bizarrely it is supplied with IP54 cable bushes:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/wago-abox-lever-connector-222-series-junction-box/9390g
This box is cheaper but you need bushes for any cable:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/ced-ip65-adaptable-box-80-x-80-x-52mm/14556
Here are some bushes that the Q&A says will do 6-12mm and the suggested cable is specified as 9.2-10.7mm so ought to work:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/tower-male-comp-gland-20mm-2-pack/80851
But you can get similar stuff from Toolstation, CEF, etc.

depends on the lights. if they have 2 cable entrys, pref. at bottom, then loop through and make connections in the light.

If you are only having a 13A fuse in the plug then you should be using something like HO7RNF3C1.5 all the way so it can handle any fault current, also it might be simpler for ordering and neater to make it all the same.

How you connect and if you need a junction box would depend on the physical details of the lights, etc, and how you plan on laying them out. The dual 13A socket probably has multiple knock-out holes so you can easily wire in to one hole (with a suitable gland) and then daisy-chain out another hole to the lights if you go that way.

It is not clear from the picture of the lights if you could get two cables in to the back of them, or if the internal terminals will take 2 * 1.5mm wire. I guess you would need to buy some to check that sort of detail out.

If you do go for a junction box then make sure it is rated at IP65 or higher, and get suitable glands for it. Again, for all of the outdoor stuff try to have cables come in from below, or sides if you must, but not the top as its an easy way for water to get in.
[automerge]1585323341[/automerge]
Wago do an IP65 box, but bizarrely it is supplied with IP54 cable bushes:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/wago-abox-lever-connector-222-series-junction-box/9390g
This box is cheaper but you need bushes for any cable:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/ced-ip65-adaptable-box-80-x-80-x-52mm/14556
Here are some bushes that the Q&A says will do 6-12mm and the suggested cable is specified as 9.2-10.7mm so ought to work:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/tower-male-comp-gland-20mm-2-pack/80851
But you can get similar stuff from Toolstation, CEF, etc.
If I run parallel I will defo need a junction box am I correct in saying that? Main feed into the junction box and take 2 feeds out, one to each light?

If I run parallel I will defo need a junction box am I correct in saying that? Main feed into the junction box and take 2 feeds out, one to each light?

You might be able to make the junction in one light, but it depends on the physical details of how it handles cable entry, etc. Simplest option with no junction box would be:

13A plug ---> outdoor 13A socket ---> Bulkhead Light #1 ---> Bulkhead Light #2

If that is not practical then something like:

13A plug ---> outdoor 13A socket --->
Junction Box
---> Bulkhead Light #1
---> Bulkhead Light #2

Yes, this is a rubbish way to show it using ASCII art where it wont keep spacing!

You might be able to make the junction in one light, but it depends on the physical details of how it handles cable entry, etc. Simplest option with no junction box would be:

13A plug ---> outdoor 13A socket ---> Bulkhead Light #1 ---> Bulkhead Light #2

If that is not practical then something like:

13A plug ---> outdoor 13A socket --->
Junction Box
---> Bulkhead Light #1
---> Bulkhead Light #2

Yes, this is a rubbish way to show it using ASCII art where it wont keep spacing!
No that’s perfect, and understandable, this really is a great forum, quick replies with people willing to help.

Reply to Wiring External lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock