Discuss wiring extractor fan to shower switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

deb0and

Hi

Can an extractor fan be wired so when i pull my cord to turn power on for the shower the fan automatically comes on as well?

I was going to just cut the shower connection and put a junction box in then wire the fan into that, would this be OK?

Cheers

like ezzzekiel said it can be done by taking a 3c+e cable from your light fitting in the bathroom to a tp fan isolator then to your fan.

please do not cut your shower cable and do the way you said its not right!

saying all this doing work in a bathroom is notifiable work.

Agree with last post. - fan/timer wont work properly without permanent live to fan and a switched live which you wont have from shower. As you need the switched live forget going through shower cable, for dozens of reasons. - Can elaborate if needed (safety/fire etc. etc....)

notifiable work? To who?

I was wanting to go from the shower because in the summer i am not going to need to put the light on to take a shower. I was also hoping i wouldnt need another pull down cord for the fan as i have two alerady, 1 for the light and one for the shower.

So i can just cut the add a spur off from the lighting cable and wire in the fan through a junction box?

Never thought there would be a problem going from the shower cable.

good job i asked, i was just about to get cutting

Notifiable to your local council

Part P of the building regs state this.

They charge anything from £100 plus for the service, so you ideally should get an electrician to do this work for you a, if he is registered, it doesnt cost as much for him to notify.

Therefore its not a good idea to start messing with a 32A shower cable to supply an extractor.

If you are simply replacing a fan thats already there then there are humidistat version available that only operate when the room steams up.

EG:

4 Inch Humidity Wall Extractor Fan

Not cheap but better than messing with circuit cables that are not suitable for the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the wiring for a bathroom fan on the internet. - If you have a timer on your fan you need to have isolation for maintenance. This must be more than just switching off the mcb in the fuse box. This is because when you switch the fan off at the pull cord,there is still a permanent live wire connected to the fan for the timer. Breaking into a high current carrying cable with a junction box introduces more potential problems. Please get an electrician to advise as im worried you cant see all the potential problems - for the people using the bathroom and more importantly the Electrician in future who may have to sort it out.....

how much would an electrician charge for wiring in an extractor fan? Credit crunch n all, this is why i was going to do it myself but reading the replies me thinks it aint such a good idea.

you may want to look at pir extractor fans if your worried about them not coming on in the summer with no lights. then it will come on every time someone comes into the room.

Definately get someone in mate it's dangerous

What you are proposing to do is wrong in many respects. Have you actually read the previous posts on this thread?

Any work in a bathroom is notifiable under part p of the building regulations,except if replacing like for like equiptment,so alterations to any wiring must be notified,being it a special location and all,also any alteration must conform to the new 17th edition regualtions,so wire in a new fan etc,must be on rcd or bonding all in place(16th edition).

Please,please,please use a qualified electrician,i have seen what a faulty bahroom fan can do,melted,fire,next door to a 9 month old babys bedroom,because the person who wired it was not qualified,no earth to fan or in any part of bathroom,very old wiring which didnt have an earth in it,so whoever fitted it had broken the law and almost killed someone,we as electricians are trained proffesionals and yes we need to make a living,but we also want to keep people safe from the dangers of electric shock and fire,and part p of the building regs was introduced to keep people safe from the sort of thing i mentioned,i hope this explains it a little clearer,and you would be suprised how friendly us electricians can be,if you cant afford it all most will work something out for you.

By the way, only a minor works will be required and therefore is NOT notifiable as you are only extending an existing circuit.

I fully wire loft conversions tapping into existing ring and lighting circuits and building control are happy with minor works certificates.
:confused::confused::eek:

Okay i understand what you mean when u say in summer you dont need the light on but if fitted correctly all i do is knock the light on....wait a sec or 2 and then knock the light off, This way my fan stays on for the set time and im in and outta the shower in a jiffy...all done.

Having recently fitted one of these an extra expense was getting a roofer in to fit a slate vent in the roof but did everything else myself using selv 12v extractor fan 100mm.

I expected it to have more suction than a dyson but it dont:( but it still clears the room of steam just not as great as I was expecting.

Look at the wiring for a bathroom fan on the internet. - If you have a timer on your fan you need to have isolation for maintenance. This must be more than just switching off the mcb in the fuse box. This is because when you switch the fan off at the pull cord,there is still a permanent live wire connected to the fan for the timer.

Wrong. You only need an isolation switch if there is no natural light getting into the bathroom via a window etc. If there is a window then switching off the mcb is fine for isolation for maintainance.

Reply to wiring extractor fan to shower switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock