Discuss Wiring for extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
currently have extractor fan in utility room for condenser dryer (extracts outside via pipe

Its wired to a 3 pin plug same as condenser dryer that both go into a 2 way extension and into socket in wall so when we click wall socket switch on they both come on together
(that way as well when my sons/wife put on dryer i know both go on)

to cut a long story short can all fans be wired to a 3 pin plug that come on as soon as they are powered without timer/pullcord or pressing any other buttons

Want one that will do this and as silent as possible

Must have missed this thread first time round.

yes. Fans can be wired onto a 3 pin plug if they are a standard model and only require a live and neutral (and earth)
Timer fans need a second live (4 cores)
A 3A fuse must be fitted in the plug though.

I would be wary of a tumble dryer running off an extension lead though. That’s normally a weak point.

Must have missed this thread first time round.

yes. Fans can be wired onto a 3 pin plug if they are a standard model and only require a live and neutral (and earth)
Timer fans need a second live (4 cores)
A 3A fuse must be fitted in the plug though.

I would be wary of a tumble dryer running off an extension lead though. That’s normally a weak point.
Thanks have fire alarm in that cupboard as well (linked to other ones so if it goes off so does ones in other rooms)
Never knew about 3A would have just fitted 13A
Just worried when I switch on at wall it does not come on and i have to press additional button.(reason explained above why i want no additional button

Just worried when I switch on at wall it does not come on and i have to press additional button.(reason explained above why i want no additional button
You'd need to post some info about the existing fan (make/model, photo) for comment about why it needs some button pressing.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Wiring for extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net