Discuss Wiring for Garage Door Safety Sensor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mike_T

DIY
Reaction score
Hello.

New to the forum and hoping there is help for my issue.

The receiving sensor on my garage door recently crapped out. I watched a few youtube videos and it all looked easy. In the videos there was always 1 wire in each side of the garage door. It was a matter of (1) connecting the white wire to white wire and then (2) connecting the white/black wire to the black wire and then you are done.

BUT, when I took a closer look at the wiring on my door I found something different. The left side where the sending sensor is located had a single wire - no problem. However, on the right side of the door where the receiving sensor is located there are 2 wires coming down from the ceiling. I believe one is from the unit and the other is in some way connected to an exterior electrical outlet on the exterior of the garage. I know this is so by playing with the breakers and using a non-contact testor.

I have attached a picture of the previous wiring. Attached to the black/white wire on the sensor was the black wire from one of the 2 ceiling wires. Attached to the white sensor wire were both of the red wires from the 2 wires coming down from the ceiling. There is an additional black wire from one of the ceiling wires, and from the end of it I can tell it was connected at one point.

My question is where do I connect the stray black wire? Does it belong (1) to the white sensor wire connected to the 2 red wires, (2) to the white/black sensor wire connected to the black wire, or (3) not connected to either?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• wiring.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 8
Hello.

New to the forum and hoping there is help for my issue.

The receiving sensor on my garage door recently crapped out. I watched a few youtube videos and it all looked easy. In the videos there was always 1 wire in each side of the garage door. It was a matter of (1) connecting the white wire to white wire and then (2) connecting the white/black wire to the black wire and then you are done.

BUT, when I took a closer look at the wiring on my door I found something different. The left side where the sending sensor is located had a single wire - no problem. However, on the right side of the door where the receiving sensor is located there are 2 wires coming down from the ceiling. I believe one is from the unit and the other is in some way connected to an exterior electrical outlet on the exterior of the garage. I know this is so by playing with the breakers and using a non-contact testor.

I have attached a picture of the previous wiring. Attached to the black/white wire on the sensor was the black wire from one of the 2 ceiling wires. Attached to the white sensor wire were both of the red wires from the 2 wires coming down from the ceiling. There is an additional black wire from one of the ceiling wires, and from the end of it I can tell it was connected at one point.

My question is where do I connect the stray black wire? Does it belong (1) to the white sensor wire connected to the 2 red wires, (2) to the white/black sensor wire connected to the black wire, or (3) not connected to either?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike welcome to the forum and I guess the sensors make the motor stop when raising and lowering the door. I’m no expert on garage doors but I would think each sensor would need 2 wires with one 2 wire cable coming from the opener to the first sensor and then one 2 wire cable going from the first sensor to the second sensor and one 2 wire cable from the second sensor going back to the opener. It was hard for me to make sense what was going on in the picture. I would have thought that the wiring would be low voltage but from what your saying I guess it’s 120vac. Having said what ever colors you have connected to the good sensor should be identical to the other sensor. If we can be of future help please let us know. Worst case a sensor could be bad and how did the wiring come loose anyway?
[automerge]1583104011[/automerge]
Mike welcome to the forum and I guess the sensors make the motor stop when raising and lowering the door. I’m no expert on garage doors but I would think each sensor would need 2 wires with one 2 wire cable coming from the opener to the first sensor and then one 2 wire cable going from the first sensor to the second sensor and one 2 wire cable from the second sensor going back to the opener. It was hard for me to make sense what was going on in the picture. I would have thought that the wiring would be low voltage but from what your saying I guess it’s 120vac. Having said what ever colors you have connected to the good sensor should be identical to the other sensor. If we can be of future help please let us know. Worst case a sensor could be bad and how did the wiring come loose anyway?
Worst case you could call a garage door company to come and fix it

Thank you for your response. I believe the wire was pulled out earlier this week when a snow shovel came into contact with the unit. I ended out swapping the old sensor with a new one and connecting the the sensors on either side with the same color as suggested. Long story short the unit is now working fine again.

Thank you for your response. I believe the wire was pulled out earlier this week when a snow shovel came into contact with the unit. I ended out swapping the old sensor with a new one and connecting the the sensors on either side with the same color as suggested. Long story short the unit is now working fine again.
Well done my friend and come back if you need anything else

Reply to Wiring for Garage Door Safety Sensor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net