Discuss Wiring in a hob with 4 wires to a 3-wire cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I am replacing my mums induction hob with an old electric hob as she wants to take the induction with her to her new house as it suits her arthritis. As she is selling back to a retirement company she only has to leave the same sort of hob that she had before so I bought a cheap 2nd hand one on ebay.

I thought it would be straightforward, I replaced the original hob with the induction one and it was a simple swap.

Unfortunately the hob i have bought has 4 wires in it and the wire I am connecting it to only has 3 so I am a bit unsure how to wire it. (Pictures attached).

I have to return to England (from Scotland) on Thursday - so if I can get it done before then that would be fantastic.

Wiring in a hob with 4 wires to a 3-wire cable cable to be attached to hob - EletriciansForums.net

Wiring in a hob with 4 wires to a 3-wire cable hob wiri - EletriciansForums.net

Although you have 4 blocks - 1 of them is linked giving your 3 incoming wires places to go. Your Live (Brown) to the one that’s linked, neutral (Blue) to the corresponding blue and your green yellow (sleeved) to the middle of the two. Ensure thAt the cable is supported in the clamp and make sure cable has a clear play when replacing.
Isolate the circuit before attempting. Prove it dead. You sound sensible.

I suggest you get an electrician in.

Be a 30 min job, and you will receive a minor works certificate proving the circuits safe.

Reactions: MDJ

Be a 30 min job, and you will receive a minor works certificate proving the circuits safe.
Roughly how much will that cost? The thing is I don't know if this hob works so don't want to spend much fitting it incase I've been sold a pup.

any chance of a better picture? and maybe the rating plate?
Here are some more pictures - I can't believe I missed the sticker telling me the lives were linked lol - hidden under the cable cover

I think I know what I'm doing now - wire the brown to the linked terminal and the others to the matching colours - lets hope it isn't a duff hob.

Wiring in a hob with 4 wires to a 3-wire cable 29216318_10213168183134131_8195105141901230080_n - EletriciansForums.net

Wiring in a hob with 4 wires to a 3-wire cable download (1) - EletriciansForums.net

Wiring in a hob with 4 wires to a 3-wire cable download - EletriciansForums.net

You'll probably only get one if you request it as simple replacement does not mandate certification (though a MEIWC can be used for such).

Hi,make sure you are not out of your comfort zone...McCarthy and Stone,have a very capable legal team :)

is that Patsy Stone?

Reply to Wiring in a hob with 4 wires to a 3-wire cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock