Discuss Wiring in a Hydrovane 2.2kw compressor in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stuwindsurf

I am about to wire in a Hydrovane 2.2kw compressor. I have to run a cable form the main house to the workshop underground. The compressor runs at 16 amps but spikes above that on start up.

I intend using 6mm cable, but would like to know what I protection I should be using at the fuse box in the house and what I should install in the workshop eg. RCD?

Thanks for any help with this!

Stu

From the house to the workshop, the run is about 15 metres. I have had an electrician quote for wiring it in, but it is too expensive for me right now (£450). I have some experience myself with wiring so would like to wire it in myself.

From the house to the workshop, the run is about 15 metres. I have had an electrician quote for wiring it in, but it is too expensive for me right now (£450). I have some experience myself with wiring so would like to wire it in myself.

from the DB to the compressor? what's that distance

you'll prob need someone qualified anyhow

That would be about 10 metres

Stu, you say the run from the house to the workshop is 15m and that from DB to the compressor is 10m.

Am I right in thinking you mean from house DB to workshop DB is 15m and from workshop DB to compressor is another 10m?

Also, what is the earthing arrangement going to be?

Stu, you say the run from the house to the workshop is 15m and that from DB to the compressor is 10m.

Am I right in thinking you mean from house DB to workshop DB is 15m and from workshop DB to compressor is another 10m?

Also, what is the earthing arrangement going to be?

Actually I have just been installing the 6mm cable from the house to the workshop and the run is 24m, then the run to the compressor will be about another 10m. I then propose to fit a 32m50 fuse to the house fuse board, connect the 6mm cable to this, then fit a consumer unit in the workshop to connect the compressor to?? These are the parts I need advice on?

As for earthing, do I need to fit a separate earth for the workshop? (if thats what you mean?)

Thanks, Stu

Looks like there is a plain and simple 16A 2P & E plug on the end of it at the mo???

Yes there is, but the guy who I bought it from put that on just for me to try before I bought it. It was previously hard wired in and use in a laboratory for autoclaves.

When I tried it out, it started up fine but once the pressure dropped and the auto start kicked in it blew his 13amp fuse immediately.

The earthing arrangements will need to be confirmed. If you have TN-CS this can not be exported from the house to the garage. So a rod will probably need to be installed to comply with Regs.

i reckon prob C25 mcb for the compressor and ac-1 rated isolator will do

you can size your 'final circuit' cable according to the c25 and determine if Zs
and total VD( sub-main+final circuit) are within limits

you might also want to calculate the VD during startup- and see what the terminal voltage will drop to

you'll need a qualified sparkie anyhow

Reply to Wiring in a Hydrovane 2.2kw compressor in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net